How to: - IAC valve cleaning thread (w/pics) | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: IAC valve cleaning thread (w/pics)

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is pretty much a DIY for all Fords. I had to clean my grandmas 02 V6 mustang last weekend. The car was idleing really bad. It's smooth now.

Yeah & it's bright yellow :D

Funny thing

HI,
Well let me start off by telling my story:
A few months ago my X did this freaky thing and wouldn't start unless I pushed on the gas peddle. I took it to a shop, they said, it's fine, we couldn't pull up any codes.
So this week, it sorta started acting up again. Well today, I think my car has had it. :mad: I had to drive home 20 miles of backroads with stoplights doing the gas/brake thing so the darn thing wouldn't die, which it did 7 times. Well I made an appt with ford to take my car in and the lady suggested that it might be the IAC Valve. YaY! After reading the posts here, sounds like it might be. I found one at Pep Boys for 49.99. I am just waitin for my engine to cool down. Then I will begin my first attempt at working on my car. =) I hope it goes well. Looks pretty simple. I didn't want to bother with cleaning the thing, so I suppose heres my question...do you spray that cleaner stuff inside the area that the IAC connects to? Or just attach the new one and call it good??

Thanks again for you help! :D
~K

It wouldn't hurt to spray the area in which the IAC attaches.

Good luck ....

My trucks idle is about 600, and when the AC compressor turns on, it turns off quickly, on again and quickly off again.. and it does this till i put my foot on the gas.. do you think i should clean my IAC or is it another problem?

Thanks for the help

Hi, my Explorer also had that noice, and I cleand out the IAC. It was not that filty but I used electronic spray and the sound have´nt been heard ever since. (2 weeks since, and I heard the humming every other day)

The milage was 120 000km and it´s a -00.

I was so near to order a new IAC, and in sweden at the ford dealer they wanted 157$ for it.

So BIG THANKS to you all!!

I use brákleen. let it dry for about 30 minutes and all is well

Karl....you are the man! Your advice worked marvelously.

Thanks, Ricky in VA

Karl.....you are the man! Your advice worked marvelously........no more loud whining noise.

Thanks!
Ricky in VA

Karl - Thanks for posting the instructions for the IAC. I am having a problem with mine and plan on replacing it but had no idea where to find it until now.

Thanks again and I hope your ride is treating you well.

So i took my IAC off and started to clean it. Wanted to make sure the piston was moving, but it was jammed completely. tried to coax it with a small screwdriver and snap...off came some plastic...now i have to buy a whole new one. Damnit.
Anyways. anyone know a good way to clean the MAF? figured i would clean that while i'm at it.

Would it be ok to replace my IAC with another manufacturer? Borg brand replacement is half the price of the motorcraft one.

hey does anyone know the part number for the IAC, i can barely read mine, but what i could read was 95TF-9F7, however when I went to Advanced Auto Parts they said it was either 95TF-AA or 95TF-AB, so i don't know which one to order, please let me know if you do. thanks

Ok so I figured out the part number on my own, but for anyone else who was confused like I was it was the part the ended with AA, not AB. You will still have to look at your EX because the only difference is which way it goes, either left or right. And to answer the question above about where the IAC is for a 98 it should be right where the manifold connects to the air filter, or in that area, perhaps on the manifold. There are some pics for a different car but if you look at them you should be able to figure it out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here it is .... ( on y '99 SOHC )

Attachments

• DSC00707.jpg
    DSC00707.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 4,732

Back