CALDWELL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia Airport, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 V6 Silver XLT
Hey Fella's,

I have not been on the forum in awhile but I am looking at buying a 2005 XLT 4.0L with ( 157,000 Miles ) w/ one owner history and NO ACCIDENTS ! It looks like it has been well maintained over the years. The engine bay looks really good as well as the interior aside from some wear on the steering wheel. The dealership is asking $3,000 for it which is a steal for me. I know I can get it out the door for 3K w/ taxes/tag included. Now onto the point...

Even though it appears to be well taken care of. It would make me feel better to give the vehicle a proper tune up given it's age. I am willing to spend a budget of ( $1,500 ) to ensure I will get at least a solid 2+ years out of it. What would you high mileage fella's suggest for an old member getting back into the 3rd gen game. When I owned my last 05' I got rid of it with 55K miles on it.

Oil Change
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Spark Plugs
Wires
Transmission / Differential Flush
Brake Pads
Brake Rotors
Brake Fluid Flush
Shocks / Struts
Ball Joints
Bottle of Injector Cleaner
Coolant Flush

Anything else I should look into ?.

Thanks for your time fella's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would also check the sway bar end links, as many people overlook that piece of the suspension puzzle. If it was owned in PA, anything that was made of rubber is disintegrating quickly if it has not been replaced.
Inspect items such as the rubber boots on the CV axles and look at the end of the axles to check for leaking axle shaft seals. If the rubber feels hard and brittle, either replace the boot, or the whole axle for piece of mind.

Check the ball joint boots for cracks. PCV valve is worth checking out too. Transfer case drain and refill.

After speaking with the sales manager of the dealership. He provided me with the service record of what the dealership has done to the vehicle.

Oil Change,
Trans / Diff Fluid Change
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Brake Pads
Brake Rotors

That knocks out most of my tune up list already !

hoping to pick to pick this thing Monday night !

Congratulations, sounds like a good one.

I am absolutely looking into shocks/struts. I want to get a solid 2 years or more out of this X. wanna make sure all of the essential replacement parts are swapped.

I am absolutely looking into shocks/struts. I want to get a solid 2 years or more out of this X. wanna make sure all of the essential replacement parts are swapped.

I'm planning to get all KYB's soon. Just struts and bellows, no springs...they raise the price too much.

n2ho46.jpg

I'm planning to get all KYB's soon. Just struts and bellows, no springs...they raise the price too much.
I get a total of $422 for all four KYB quick struts, including springs.
KYB SR4051 Rear ($77 x2)
KYB SR4081 Front ($134 x2)

This doesn't include the strut boots. It would be $440 including shipping if you have the 5% discount. That's about $100 more for the 4 new springs. I would also think that they would be very much easier to install as a pre-assembled quick strut. I have never replaced a strut for any reason other than that the spring broke so maybe I would think differently if the springs were still good. I would think about the new springs if you could swing it. I have never seen the rears at this low a price, so maybe just doing springs on the rears would be an option to consider.

This is to OP as well to look at the KYB rear struts linked above. That really is a very good price for a quality quick strut. You can probably find a local mechanic to put them on for you if you can't get the old ones off or don't want to try. My mechanic doesn't mind if I bring in my own parts, so I can almost always save some money there.

I put the KYB SR4051 on my rear a little while ago and I am happy with them. This is another place where it is hard to see how rockauto sells at these prices. The same KYB SR4051 part goes for $270 at autozone.

LMHmedchem

Back