idle air control - any known issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

idle air control - any known issues

Adam Janowski

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015, Explorer, Police
hello 2015 explorer 3.7 128k miles, have driven it for 4k miles

engine idle seemed quite good - incredibly quiet actually

hadn't run the A/C much, but noticed when switching it on at idle the engine speed would dip quite a bit. too much if you ask me. almost like halfway to stalling, then it would recover.

more recently started hunting for idle speed and bumped up and down 200 rpm for 20 seconds before settling out on a colder start.

i'm thinking idle air control valve needs to be cleaned or replaced

anyone have insight or experience with this topic?

rest of driveability is fine with smooth power delivery and 19.8 mpg for mixed driving on 87 octane (10% ethanol) at approx 1,000 avg feet above sea level

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Adam. Turning my A/C on when idling hardly makes a perceptible change in RPM according to the tach.

Peter

Hi Adam. Turning my A/C on when idling hardly makes a perceptible change in RPM according to the tach.

Peter
exactly my point. mine is more erratic.

in disassembly i'm not seeing any idle air control valve in the traditional sense. it looks like an electronically controlled throttle with a barely cracked open throttle plate

anyone had any issues with idle control and any known remedies?

the air filter if fine, the MAF sensor has been cleaned, the throttle plate and housing have been cleaned. regular driving seems fine. it's never stalled, but occasionally hunts for proper idle RPM before seeming to settle out

this video may provide my answer. going to reset electrical system and allow relearn of the throttle body tomorrow.

I had to replace the idle air control valve in my old 99 a couple years ago. It wouldn't maintain idle speed at all without keeping my foot on the gas. If I took my foot off the gas idle speed would drop so low it couldn't keep running.

this video may provide my answer. going to reset electrical system and allow relearn of the throttle body tomorrow.

so this did work. has been all better for a week. i think it drives slightly better as well. smoother medium throttle acceleration and / or kickdown for passing

Back