Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

idle issues on my 94

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by DonnieFB, March 23, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. DonnieFB

DonnieFB Elite Explorer

City, State:
    S. Chesterfield, Virginia
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1994 Explorer
    my 94 XLT started running terrible. I pulled codes 121, 337, 558, 157, 158 and 416. I don't understand what controls these things .I just had the plugs and wires changed. I have also replaced the EGR valve, EGR Solenoid, EGR pressure feedbck sensor, PCV valve, TPS, IAC valve and a couple of vacuum lines. The idle goes up and down when the IAC is connected. When I disconnect it, the idle goes down and will cut off the car. or just idles low. Don't know what causes the low voltage readings on these codes etc.Can't spend much more on this. Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 974X4BLACKSPORT

974X4BLACKSPORT Active Member

City, State:
    hudson
    BLACK 1997 SPORT 4 BY 4
    How many miles does the XLT have? Has the throttle body ever been cleaned? The ports for the IAC get clogged and restricts the air causing poor idle. How does the engine respond in the 1500-3500 RPM ranges?

4. DonnieFB

DonnieFB Elite Explorer

City, State:
    1994 Explorer
    It has about 215000 miles,
    I have cleaned the throttle body with spray cleaner several times. It goes up and down in the 1500 - 3000 range. If I unplug the IAC it was running better but now if I do it it seems to bog down and cut off

5. FR-425

FR-425 Used to be a road here. Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Phoenix, AZ.
    1994 Explorer Limited
    High voltage across so many different systems would indicate an open circuit.

Low voltage would indicate a short.

You likely have a broken, worn through, rodent chewed, wire that is intermittently shorting on something.

6. DonnieFB

DonnieFB Elite Explorer

City, State:
    1994 Explorer
    Thanks I will look it over some more. Just trying to get an idea and direction to go.