1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Idles up and down

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by jbattlesjr, July 2, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. jbattlesjr

jbattlesjr New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    93 4X4
    98 EB Ex with 5.0

I have searched this forum but have not seen this issue. My truck idles up and down when in drive or reverse. It will sometimes idle high(12-15rpm). Most of the time it will idle between 4-700rpm going up and down. I also have what sounds like a vacuum leak under the hood. I have only had the truck for a week. It rides great since the 325/65/15s have been removed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. ;)

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. RakeYoung

RakeYoung New Member

City, State:
    New York City
    98 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC
    Check the idle air control motor, and intake hose for leaks, perhaps even the pcv valve, I guess that's the easiest thing to check. Or if you have a MIL on run a code scanner and that should get you started.

4. jbattlesjr

jbattlesjr New Member

93 4X4
    Any one have any pics of the location of the IAC motor? I thought that might have something to do with the idle issue as I have read some post about that but not sure where it is located.