Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Idoling rough....for me

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by fordkrazy, September 27, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. fordkrazy

fordkrazy Active Member

City, State:
      Plantation FL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      96 xlt 4x2
      Ok my x '96 w/ 87k on it has a small case of the shakes... its a rough idol that when i give it a litte gas to about 1500 turns into a missing sound. I just replaced the plugs and wires. the only other thing i can think of is it has a bad coil pack....arent those supposed to not wear out? [:::] :shoot:

and on another note....what does the OBDII do exactly as far as testing....cause i just wasted 129 bucks on a scanner that does nothing but scan codes....confound compooters....i remember back in the day when i could do a engine running test and a cylinder balance test with a 25 dollar scanner :mad:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
      What do you want it to do?

4. Opera House

Opera House Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Cincinnati, OH
      2014 Explorer 3.5L base
      I don't remember

a $25 scanner being able to do anything but blink. Something you could do with a paper clip! If it doesn't hook to a PALM or a laptop, I agree you can't do anything with it.

5. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
      Maybe we are confusing the erm code reader and scanner.

6. Nonoy

Nonoy Active Member

City, State:
      Suffolk, Long Island, NY
      1997 SOH XLT Contoltract
      Try reseting the computer by disconnecting the battery, cleaning the MAF sensor and a nice FI cleaner.:D

7. fordkrazy

fordkrazy Active Member

City, State:
      Plantation FL
      96 xlt 4x2
      thanks for the thought nonoy.....the MAS is clean and i have run some cleaner through it recently....like i said though its like its missing....the MAS and a dirty fuel system will make it hesitate not miss.....i think its an ignition thing....if anyone knows how to tell if the coil pack is bad or weak i would appreciate it.....(maybe the CPS is dirty?)

Opra House.....my sunpro scanner for OBD-I fords would do the plain ol code scan...plus an engine running scan so you could detect intermitant problems....it would also do a cylinder balance test that dropped each cylinder one at a time and measure RPM loss to determine the power output of the dropped cylinder....that is real handy to determine if you have a bad fuel injector. My OBD-II scanner doesnt even have half the codes in it....it says to look at a service manual......hell if i spent 130 bucks it should have the damn codes in it or in a book.....what good does it do me to have the code but not know what its for? its such a crock.