If it ain't broke, don't fix it :( | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it :(

Black Mounty

Reaction score
City, State
New York, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
After five days at my dealership of choice (there are four closer) for Fan assembly replacement, i asked the dealer to address window problem and see if there was a new version of Sync. Well, I have freezing cold A/C, but an absolutely bricked MFT screen. No access to anything (Nav/Radio/Bluetooth) . This after only one reboot in 8 weeks. So, so upsetting especially with the holiday weekend coming up.

Why is it so hard for Ford to get their act together. The SyncMyRide customer service says its not Fords problem, its the Dealerships fault. My dilemma is do i go to an entirely new dealer and say look, Dealer X F'd up my sync, or drive the 45 minutes to my dealership.

Uggh, so frustrating.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The dealer probably didn't perform a proper load of the new software. They need to wipe the old s/w and then load the new.

You can try pulling the fuse to see if you can bring it back to life.

Any idea how long the process takes? What assurances that it will work. I cannot tell you how frustrating it is to pull out of the dealership lot and having it shutdown on me.

The process itself is quick, its the waiting for an available tech that may take time.

Try a closer dealer and see if you have better luck. In the mean time check if pulling and replacing the fuse works. When the fuse is out, try turning the ignition on and off, then open and shut the door, turn the ignition on and off again, the put the fuse back in.

The title of your message holds true for just about everything these days, no matter how simple, no matter what business. Sad but true.

The length of the process is actually very dependent on the internet connection speed the dealer has. A lot of dealers seem to be using really slow connections and all of the software is streamed directly from Ford. They have nothing on site. They connect and it streams on demand, so I absolutely believe that dealers with slow connection speeds are more prone to time-out errors and problems with erratic slow installs. Something that Ford should address. I would bet that installing fatter data pipelines would solve a lot of problems.

Dealer is telling me they are going to replace aprim unit and part will be in Tuesday. Not the first time this has happened to them ( then why do update if u break something that was working before) With the holiday weekend I doubt I'll seethe part tuesaday plus traveling this weekend with no screen, radio, nav , etc Pulling fuse did nothing.

I discounted a lot if the horror stories on these boards. I love the truck but Ford has made getting the vehicle (waiting for endless quality holds) and now owning the vehicle a not to happy experience. A two month old car should not be having these problems and I shouldnt be making payments on a car I don't have.

Go beyond the fuse pull. Take a 10mm end wrench or socket and disconnect the negative terminal on the battery and walk away from it for at LEAST 10 minutes before reconnecting it.

I do this often... Less now with a new APIM, but I've still had to do it.

It's the only way I can unfreeze the system sometimes. You'll get a reboot after that. Er, Sorry, you'll get "scheduled system maintenance" after that. Hopefully that will at least get your screen back on and able to use the AC.

The length of the process is actually very dependent on the internet connection speed the dealer has. A lot of dealers seem to be using really slow connections and all of the software is streamed directly from Ford. They have nothing on site. They connect and it streams on demand, so I absolutely believe that dealers with slow connection speeds are more prone to time-out errors and problems with erratic slow installs. Something that Ford should address. I would bet that installing fatter data pipelines would solve a lot of problems.
I appreciate you posting that suggestion. I’m going to pass this along.

Dealer is telling me they are going to replace aprim unit and part will be in Tuesday. Not the first time this has happened to them ( then why do update if u break something that was working before) With the holiday weekend I doubt I'll seethe part tuesaday plus traveling this weekend with no screen, radio, nav , etc Pulling fuse did nothing.

I discounted a lot if the horror stories on these boards. I love the truck but Ford has made getting the vehicle (waiting for endless quality holds) and now owning the vehicle a not to happy experience. A two month old car should not be having these problems and I shouldnt be making payments on a car I don't have.
I would be frustrated too if my MFT couldn’t be fixed until after the holiday weekend. I would like to offer my help by escalating your concern. Please send me a private message with your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name so I can assist.

Cory

I wondered this before. There are a lot of people with 2.8 and problems where my 2.4 is solid. Installs over the wire are fine for something small, but this could be a real issue.

Go beyond the fuse pull. Take a 10mm end wrench or socket and disconnect the negative terminal on the battery and walk away from it for at LEAST 10 minutes before reconnecting it.

I've done this a few times now to reset small issues. Always works great afterwards (for awhile anyway) but is this a full reset? The reason I ask is that MFT always remembers my AM/FM and Sirius presets. Actually, that's OK with me, but it certainly doesn't seem to be the complete reset that I was expecting.

Like Frankenstein,after being out all day ysterday, Sync is back and surprisingly operating (in my opinion) better than before. Fuse pull did nothing. i left battery disconnected for a while, started her up a few hours later, got the Sync start up screen and has worked since then.

not sure why the Dealer was so quick to recommend the APIM replacement. Let's see if i get through the weekend

Back