If there is way to clean IAC sensor, please describe it. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If there is way to clean IAC sensor, please describe it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Usually cleaning it is very temporary if it is bad. You can just take it off and spray the inside with throttle body cleaner. It won't last long if you have the hummmmming problem though...maybe like a week.

A quote from
dogfriend
If you take it off and look into the two ports where the air can travel thru, you can see the shaft that moves back and forth to regulate the bypass air. I think that this is what you might clean to make sure that it can move freely. I ended up having to replace my IAC 2 years ago because it was sticking when the engine was warm. I don't think cleaning would have worked for mine because I could see a shiny spot on the shaft where it was rubbing against the inside bore.

please use search!

I took the filter out of mine about 2 months ago and the noise stopped. Am I chancing trouble if I don't install a new filter or a whole new IAC ? What problems could come from running with that little filter out?

Where is the IAC valve? I need to check mine because I think its what is causing my problems.

I believe yours in under the shrouding that covers your throttle body.

What does it look like? I assume there are wires coming out of it because there are wires coming out of everything. How big is it? How does it remove?

if you do a seach for "IAC" there are several posts with pics. It's on the drivers side on the engine, just off the throttle body.

Just a thought. I replaced my IAC Valve this weekend. The ford dealer wanted $137.00 for it. I went to the local siferd hosselman and got it for $47.51. I looked at cleaning it, but why chance it, I found it cheap. By cleaning it you chance having more problems then just a carboned up IAC Valve for a howling filter.

Josh

I will be needing to clean my IAC in the next couple days.

SSIKORA, you said to just spray it with throttle body cleaner. Can you get that at any NAPA or Pep Boys like store? Do you literally just spray it on, or do you have to scrub or try to wash or anything? And after you spray it, are there any special drying procedures or anything?

(I've never done this before, so I don't know if these are the types of questions that will become blatantly obvious once I'm in the act. If so, please excuse my naivete, politely tell me it will become obvious, then feel free to put another pin in the voodoo doll :D )

IAC is on the drivers side throttle body if you have 95-99 SOHC. The Haynes manual sucks, but chilton shows good pictures of location.

I removed the electrical plug, removed the size 10 bolts and cleaned in/out of the two holes/ports with carb cleaner. You can't clean much around the spring and into the plunger area, but everything else black can be shiny again. Make sure it's ready dry before firing up your rig again. Reset the 'puter too.

:D

I used Q-tips to clean mine. It was very very dirty in there.

How big a job is it to clean the IAC?

Very very easy. About 30 seconds to take it off. A couple minutes to clean it. And just let it dry. The IAC is very easy to get to also.

The plenum should also be cleaned. Pop off the intake hose and spray some intake cleaner or carb cleaner right into the throttle body. Open it up and spray all around in there. I plan on doing it to mine very soon. I saw Lizardtrac do his and I was suprised at the amount of dirt that came out.

Cool, thanks.

It doesn't actually look like I'll be needing to clean it any time in the immediate future after all.

Is it a good idea just to randomly clean it out every so often, or is it only the type of thing to do when there's a problem?

I think its more of an issue with the SOHC engines and rough idle.

You should be in the clear. I'm sure it wouldn;t hurt to clean it if you're really bored one day. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright, sounds good.

Thanks for the help!

Back