Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Ignition key — computer problem?

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by Triglyph, February 1, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. Triglyph

Triglyph New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1998 Explorer
    I lose my keys a lot. My '98 Explorer has keys with a transponder. They are expensive to replace, but that's life. Problem is, I lost another key and went to my regular locksmith to get a replacement — he's done it before. This time the Explorer would not allow him to make any more keys -- apparently there is a limit to how many keys it will allow you to make.

Any suggestions? Any way to reset whatever chip is doing this? Hopefully something simple, not replacing the entire ignition key system.

Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. arco777

arco777 Elite Explorer

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1994 Explorer 2dr 4x4
    Sorry to hear about that. The PATS function can be tuned out of the PCM; a performance shop capable of doing custom tunes could likely disable the PATS system and allow you to use non-transponder keys. Chances are if they can tune a Mustang they can tune your Explorer. Alternately a Ford dealer should be able to do the same or fix your key situation but the price may be more (or less).

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

We Support Our Troops!