Ignorance is NOT bliss

carlgustav

Reaction score
City, State
hsv, al
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Hello,

I'm having more trouble than I probably should positively identifying my transmission. I have a '95 Xploder with the 4.0 V6. There is a tag, attached to the rear of the xmission, near the rear mount. On the tag is the following:

95 GT FAA ( or maybe FA4 )
SC06 ( the 6 is questionable, could be a G closed up? )

Anyway, I'm not sure what I've got :eek: . I've got the thumb switch on the shift lever for switching O/D in or out ( default is in ). My assumption is a 4R55E, based on my Haynes guide. However, some parts places on the web don't even reference this model ( for things like external filter kits or shift kits ). Is there another designation for this tranny? Am I correct in assuming a 4R55E?

TIA,
Anders

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I've gathered, sometimes it's called the A4LDE or 4R44E.

I think you're right with "4R55E" but even the Forum "experts" (Glacier991 and Brain) aren't sure. I think my '96 has the same slushbox. If you're friendly with the local Ford store, call the Parts Dept. They'll ID it for you.

In any case, the same filter and pan gasket from the A4LD or 5R55E should fit it. They are all the same base transmission with internal upgrades.

You should have a 4r55e. The A4LD was used in all explorers from 91-94 and I beleive the 4r55e was used up till 97 when the sohc came out and they have the 5r55e while the ohv kept the 4r55e, but I could be wrong. Unfortunantly there isn't much available out there for any of our transmissions in the way of much of anything. You can get a generic cooler for it but that's about it.

4R55E in 95 & 96. OHV and SOHC in 97 both used the same 5R55E transmission, though never say never with Ford at model year change times. My 97 OHV uses an air filter for a V8.

Back