Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

I'm a huge friggin idiot!

Discussion in 'Body Work & Detailing' started by taxx, September 17, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. taxx

taxx Make em say Ugh

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      73 EB
      Well I am trying to get my truck all nice and pretty, giving it it's once a year makeover. Problem I ran into is that wehn grining and welding my bumper I got these hot metal flakes all over. Yes hot so they stuck to the paint. I hear ya I should have covered the truck or sealed off the work area, too late. I tried a polishing compound, still there,I tried a rubbing compound, still there (on the roof is my test spot) then I tried wet sanding, ok that got it, but now I have these sanding marks that I have rubbed and polished and waxed.. stll looks dull and nasty. is there a secret to this? SHould I consult a body shop or a detail shop. WHat are your oppinions on places like Zeibart? I was thinking of talking to them tomorrow to see if they can make her all pretty again?:rolleyes:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jobunn

jobunn Elite Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Santa Clarita, CA
      '99 Sport 4x4
      There's always touch up paint!;)

Good luck though. I wouldn't know what to do either.

4. MONMIX

MONMIX I fix dents Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Millersville , Maryland
      2000 Explorer Sport
      MOST of what I have heard about Zebart has not been too great. My experince with Zebbart is it is not worth the investment. For the past few years manufactures ( even Toyota !!! ) have made tremndous progress in corossion protection. I am not sayin' your stuff ain't gonna rust , cause it is. But Zebart will do little to slow that.

To your question , you are VERY fortunate you were able to wet sand it out. Those metal particles can be real pesky. Yeah , buffing the scrachs out will do the trick as long as you did not sand through the clear.
      I would consult a body shop or a detail shop for best results.

5. taxx

taxx Make em say Ugh

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      73 EB
      Well I am not looking for rust protection just curious how they compair as a detail shop?

6. GaSouthern1

GaSouthern1 Elite LS2 -

City, State:
      Duluth, Ga
      2005 GTO
      well, it sounds like you wet sanded a little too deep, i think you went through the clear coat. Or you might just want to go to a GOOD detail shop and let them hit it with a high speed buffer and a light compund and then follow it up with a high quality polish and some wax. Try the 3M compund and glazes, they work really good and are the best by far, if you want to try and have another go with the compund use 3M Perfect-it 3, the secret is that you use a high speed buffer with all the products, i would leave that to a really good detail shop..If that dosent work you are in trouble and are gonna have to get those sections repainted. Man that really sucks, my neighbor did that to his brand new trans am....expensive lesson...good luck with whatever happens...

7. '96explorereddiebauer

'96explorereddiebauer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Clemmons, NC
      '06 Honda Accord EX-L
      If the sanded areas are only a little cloudy and isn't deep, go get some 3M's Swirl Mark Remover. That thing will smooth the paint out, then top if off with wax.

8. james t

james t moderation Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Texarkana AR/TX
      94 SAS sport
      one question- what grit did you wet sand with? and did you "work your way down" in grit? like 1200, then 1400, 1800, 2000? also, you didnt use much pressure when you wet sanded, did you? probably, if you LIGHTLY continue the wet-sand down through the grit ranges (remember, use lots an lots of water) and then have it buffed, you will be ok. hard to tell from just a description, but if you werent bearing down on the paper, you should be ok. just needs more work.

9. taxx

taxx Make em say Ugh

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      73 EB
      The wet sanded areas needed a little more buffing. I used 1500 grit and very little pressure with lots of water. However I didn't wnat to have to do the whole truck this way. I stopped by a detail shop and I cannot afford what they wanted to do it, but they tested it with clay bar and it comes off! :D SO I am headed to the store to get soem to do the truck then the swirl mark remover then a nice polish!

10. james t

james t moderation Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Texarkana AR/TX
      94 SAS sport
      glad to hear it. im sure we all heard your sigh of relief echo across the U.S., and BTW- the 3M swirl remover works pretty d@mn good. Autozone sells it.

11. taxx

taxx Make em say Ugh

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      73 EB
      That is what I am putting on now. :D

12. MONMIX

MONMIX I fix dents Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Millersville , Maryland
      2000 Explorer Sport
      Oh , sorry. I was unaware Zebart did any thing but corrosion protection.
      Yeah , it did sound kinda funny in context , but I just went with it. :)