I'M BACK! 1999 Explorer used engine swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'M BACK! 1999 Explorer used engine swap

murkinstock

Reaction score
City, State
Salem, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Sport
Hi guys! I'm sure you all missed me haha, I know I missed you all!

Anyways after my engine being blown up for over a year, I finally got a replacement OHV. 117k mile engine from a 1999 Ranger fed emission. My Explorer is Cali emissions so, I'll have to swap a lot of parts, which is fine because I was to do a lot of the gaskets regardless.

I'm excited to hopefully be back into my Explorer fairly soon. Been driving an e46 BMW which I love, but I've been missing the Explorer. Also Id love to have it for winter. Heck yeah!

I'll be posting updates as soon as I get the engine home!

FB_IMG_1542730606583.jpg

So I've made a bit of progress today! Got the old engine out, but now I need to wait on a couple more gaskets, most notibly, orings for the oil filter housing.

From looking up in the bottom of the replacement engine, all cylinders seem to have good cross-hatching so it's looking great! Had a little sludge in the oil pan, but my other engine had a lot more.

I found out this is this trucks 3rd engine in 180k miles. Previous owner must have been terrible at taking care of things.

This is a look at the head gasket. I don't understand why all the water jackets arent opened. It's a Ford gasket, but maybe it was replaced before with an OEM gasket?

Some jackets are hole punched, others are completely closed.

IMG_20181202_100127.jpg

Either way, hopefully the new one isn't like that, but I'm too scared to take it apart because I can't afford to have everything checked and machined, etc.

IMG_20181202_123843.jpg

Back