I'm guessing we'll never see a recall on the 5r55w | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm guessing we'll never see a recall on the 5r55w

speedracer g37

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 xlt
With all the posts on this board, along with a tsb issued by Ford for what seems to be a faulty design, the cost would be too detrimental for the bottom line to issue a recall.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dude, your truck is 10 years old. No, there will not be a recall on it unless theres a safety hazard. Transmissions aren't really safety hazards.....
Want a real crappy transmission, buy any foreign hybrid with a CVT and see how long that lasts.

Actually, the tsb includes models up to 2009 and includes mustangs and crown Vic's. I don't necessarily agree that the trans is not a safety issue, but I can see your point.

Just like us 2nd gen guys never saw a recall on the 55e... not gonna happen.

Hard fix, rebuild the VB

Easy fix, get a tuner that adjusts shift pressure and bump it up a little (that's what I did)

How does bumping up the pressure fix it? I know it can save some wear and tear, but also puts more pressure on the trans pump and harder shifts are harder on the drive train.
Explorers have had crappy trans since the first one rolled off the line. Mine has 170,x.. on it and still has the original so it aint that bad. Got some quirks but I don't mind. My mom's (now totaled) civic was on it's 3rd at 230,x.. No recall for that either. And every honda/toyota/kia/hyundia with a CVT eats transmissions like theres no tomorrow. BMW and Ford are the only one's who sorta got it right, and BMW gave up on using a belt to move a car. I can only hope Ford does the same

I had a 2008 Grand Caravan SE (4 sp auto) that was a company car back in 2007........I didnt have to pay for gas and I drove it like I stole it. Flooring it from 1st gear, shifting to 2nd, seemed to take a year.

Now THAT was a POS transmission!

How does bumping up the pressure fix it? I know it can save some wear and tear, but also puts more pressure on the trans pump and harder shifts are harder on the drive train.
Explorers have had crappy trans since the first one rolled off the line. Mine has 170,x.. on it and still has the original so it aint that bad. Got some quirks but I don't mind. My mom's (now totaled) civic was on it's 3rd at 230,x.. No recall for that either. And every honda/toyota/kia/hyundia with a CVT eats transmissions like theres no tomorrow. BMW and Ford are the only one's who sorta got it right, and BMW gave up on using a belt to move a car. I can only hope Ford does the same

I have a toyota camry hybrid and I tell you the CVT design (in all toyota hybrid) is one of the best I could think of. No clutches, no bands and no solenoids that could wear over time. In fact toyota doesn't even call them transmission but a "power split device". You are probably referring to the CVT that uses belt and that was used in Flex/500 (another Ford fiasco in CVT design) and Nissan. Remember when Ford extended the warranty from 3/36 to 5/60 when they found it to be a time bomb and owners right now with those cars can't find any CVT transmission because Ford stop making them (talking about Ford making it right)

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

You seriously think CVTs are good? Do you even know what they look like or how they work? Or did you read some fancy bull **** and think they are amazing?
It's a belt spinning on 2 pulleys that change size.
The theroy is CVTs can only handle 250 hp and 250 ftlbs of torque.
And the 90 hp civic can make the belt slip if you don't change the oil at 30,000 miles exactly. Besides the horrible chatter pulling away from stop signs. Oh, and 3,000 rpms to make it up a hill at 50mph.....

I had a 50cc four wheeler with a CVT. Belt slipped on it to, of course so did the centrifugal clutch. Oh yeah, love the CVT in the lawn mower. Push the pedal and the transmission makes more noise than the engine :D The CVT in my Grandpa's Polaris isn't to bad. Doesn't slip or do anything extremely weird. Couldn't hardly spin the back tires though, it'd just go. Had to rev it way to high to make the pulleys start moving, the motor wasn't made to rev that high. Spinning 5 grand to accelerate at a decent pace... in a 800cc v twin ATV. Of course most people rev the piss outta their ATVs
When CVTs hit performance cars, then I'll care. But your piddly poo Toyota Camry is a no better example than anything else I said. Besides, you can claim what great success your Toyota had with it's CVT. But I experienced the horrors of the CVT in the civic hybrid.
By the time someone figures out how to make a CVT work good in a performance application, we'll be using big brushless motors attached to each wheel with Lithum Polymer batterys, solar panels, and thermal whatchaya ma call its to recharge the battery.

To get you started: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_variable_transmission

You seriously think CVTs are good? Do you even know what they look like or how they work? Or did you read some fancy bull **** and think they are amazing?
It's a belt spinning on 2 pulleys that change size.
The theroy is CVTs can only handle 250 hp and 250 ftlbs of torque.
And the 90 hp civic can make the belt slip if you don't change the oil at 30,000 miles exactly. Besides the horrible chatter pulling away from stop signs. Oh, and 3,000 rpms to make it up a hill at 50mph.....

I had a 50cc four wheeler with a CVT. Belt slipped on it to, of course so did the centrifugal clutch. Oh yeah, love the CVT in the lawn mower. Push the pedal and the transmission makes more noise than the engine :D The CVT in my Grandpa's Polaris isn't to bad. Doesn't slip or do anything extremely weird. Couldn't hardly spin the back tires though, it'd just go. Had to rev it way to high to make the pulleys start moving, the motor wasn't made to rev that high. Spinning 5 grand to accelerate at a decent pace... in a 800cc v twin ATV. Of course most people rev the piss outta their ATVs
When CVTs hit performance cars, then I'll care. But your piddly poo Toyota Camry is a no better example than anything else I said. Besides, you can claim what great success your Toyota had with it's CVT. But I experienced the horrors of the CVT in the civic hybrid.
By the time someone figures out how to make a CVT work good in a performance application, we'll be using big brushless motors attached to each wheel with Lithum Polymer batterys, solar panels, and thermal whatchaya ma call its to recharge the battery.

To get you started: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuously_variable_transmission

This is taken from the url you posted.

"CVTs should be distinguished from Power Sharing Transmissions (PSTs), as used in newer hybrid cars, such as the Toyota Prius, Highlander and Camry, the Nissan Altima, and newer-model Ford Escape Hybrid SUVs. CVT technology uses only one input from a prime mover, and delivers variable output speeds and torque; whereas PST technology uses two prime mover inputs, and varies the ratio of their contributions to output speed and power. These transmissions are fundamentally different. However the Mitsubishi Lancer, Proton Inspira, Honda Insight, Honda Fit, and Honda CR-Z hybrids, the Nissan Tiida/Versa (only the SL model), Nissan Cube, Juke, Sentra, Altima, Maxima, Rogue, Murano, Micra, Honda Capa, Honda Civic HX, Jeep Patriot and Compass, and Subaru Impreza, Legacy and Outback offer CVT."

Toyota did it differently, it's still a CVT but a completely different design. I have the service manual and did the oil change at 60k, so I just not read this in theory. The oil change was the easiest I've ever done. No pan to drop and no filter to change, just like changing the transfer case or differential oil.

I've been in Toyota Nation forums about hybrids (since owning one) and I tell you that nobody has issues with this kind of transmission (all praises because of its simplicity) since it was implemented first in the Prius (way back in 1997)

It's already here and Toyota nailed it (Hybrid Synergy Drive). That's why Toyota decided not to produce plugins anymore. Take a look at the Lexus Hybrids for performance.

here's my link;
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.278073078900818.61996.224136597627800&type=3

MY MOUNTY
MY HYBRID
http://www.facebook.com/diytoyotacamryhybrid/photos_albums

I can't find anything that tells me what makes the Toyota design better other than the fact that it uses a planetary gear. Seems to me, it's the same thing as a single speed transmission (with a tall gear ratio) and a large torque convertor.
Which is kinda what driving a CVT feels like......

Oh, and I don't care how easy it is to change. You should only have to change it once a year anyways, and my explorer is plenty easy. Drop the pan, and take out the filter. Of course I'm comparing a RWD suv to a FWD family car

I can't find anything that tells me what makes the Toyota design better other than the fact that it uses a planetary gear. Seems to me, it's the same thing as a single speed transmission (with a tall gear ratio) and a large torque convertor.
Which is kinda what driving a CVT feels like......

Simple, it doesn't have the servo bore which is a bad design in ford transmissions. No clutch and bands which wears out eventually, and lastly no belt.

Oh, and I don't care how easy it is to change. You should only have to change it once a year anyways, and my explorer is plenty easy. Drop the pan, and take out the filter. Of course I'm comparing a RWD suv to a FWD family car

There's really no difference in RWD suv and FWD family car in terms of transmission design and servicing it. The shape is different but the pan and filter design are the same.

MY MOUNTY

Ummm, a FWD car is a transaxle. You can't just crawl underneath it and drop the pan. Hell, you can't even crawl underneath a Camery, have to jack it up or drive up ramps.

Also, everything wears out eventually. The teeth on the gear wear, bearings wear, whatever it uses as a torque convertor or clutch will wear, and whatever else is inside of it. Please, tell me. I'd like to know if there is some kind of super CVT, I'm guessing you don't really know what makes it different though....

Also, the wankle engine sounds great to. No valves, or pistons going up/down, motion doesn't have to change directions, revs high, small, ect. Yet how many cars have wankles? VERY few, because the apex seal wears out fast, no low rpm torque, and they burn oil. Still won a Le Manns, and got Mazda's attention

Ummm, a FWD car is a transaxle. You can't just crawl underneath it and drop the pan. Hell, you can't even crawl underneath a Camery, have to jack it up or drive up ramps.

you are not making any sense, just because you can't crawl underneath a FWD car which is a transaxle it's different from RWD? Have you really seen a transmission from a car and a RWD truck or even worked on them?

Also, everything wears out eventually. The teeth on the gear wear, bearings wear, whatever it uses as a torque convertor or clutch will wear, and whatever else is inside of it. Please, tell me. I'd like to know if there is some kind of super CVT, I'm guessing you don't really know what makes it different though....

The bands and the clutches are not made of pure metal and the rate at which they wear is faster than the gears or bearings. You rule those parts out in the design and you have reliability. There's no such thing as a super CVT just reliables ones. I own one and know the difference, you just want your own opinion without research. Please post responsibly.

MY MOUNTY

Also, the wankle engine sounds great to. No valves, or pistons going up/down, motion doesn't have to change directions, revs high, small, ect. Yet how many cars have wankles? VERY few, because the apex seal wears out fast, no low rpm torque, and they burn oil. Still won a Le Manns, and got Mazda's attention

the wankle engine (or rotary engine) is primarily used for racing and sport applications. They are well known for not being reliable and the engine don't last that's why they're not popular. Mazda RX-8 use this engine and is prone to burn oil.

MY MOUNTY

Every wankle burns oil.
Have you ever worked on a car or truck? I'm pretty sure I've changed trans oil in both FWD cars and RWD trucks. They do the same thing, but working on them is completely different.
RWD truck takes an hour to drop the pan, change filter, bolt up the pan, and refill.

Technically bearings aren't made of "pure" metal either. Incase you didn't know

Back