I'm looking to buy 2005 Mountaineer.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm looking to buy 2005 Mountaineer....

bryansr

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer
... is there anything specific I should check out on it? It has really low miles (61k), and while there are a few dings and the normal plastic panel below the back glass cracked in the middle, it really doesn't look too bad. Are the 2005 trannys problematic? I know the 5r55e in my 98 EB was. Any input appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What engine does it have?. If V6 timing chains. Transmission 5r55s do have issues. Private sale? Service records would be nice to see if wheel bearings front and rear have been replaced and how the vehicle was serviced.Listen to engine at startup (cold) for any rattling. Open oil full cap look in side with flashlight. See a lot of sludge run don't walk. Also push on rocker panels. If you see paint bubbles or hear cracking rust.

It has the 4.0 SOHC. I did start and let it idle a few minutes, and did not hear anything odd.

I've been concerned about the timing chain problem popping up on my 98 4.0, but at almost 170k miles I guess I've been lucky. Can someone post a video link of what they sound like when going bad? So far I've only found videos of how to fix the problem.

The rear also know for whining, blend door cracks, wheel bearings, sway bar links. Wiring harness breaks in driver door. Check that all the buttons work.

In my opinion the 3rd gen is not a good vechical, the 4th gen 2006-10 is much better.

Just because it is a shoc. I would stay away. Unless it is a great deal.

I have a 04 I got for free. The lady put a couple Grand into it at the service shop before calling it enough. I've put over a grand Into it in parts and still have issues.

What’s the price?

I don’t care how low the miles are, or how cheap the vehicle is, I won’t even look at it unless it’s the 4.6l.

Back