• Register Today It's free!

Im REALLY in a PICKLE now....

davedaexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville,Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
So,2 ALL MY Enthusiast-friends...Ive got a REAL problem...in swapn out my starter on my 96 w/5.0L Ive"SUCCEEDED"In rounding-off my TOP-STARTER bolt if Youre familiar w/the position then U know I dont have much room...I Went&got the"special"sockets that SEARS is now offering,NO-LUCK,PLease any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,Ive gotta drive the OLD-LADYS Toyota til I get it fixed,YUCK,LOL....Thanx A Bunch,davethaexplorer from the home the Explorer... Louisville,Ky.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you haven't already, take off the passenger side splash guard and then the rigid plastic fender liner. It will give you much better access to the top bolt. The fender liner is held on by about around six to eight small fasteners.

Not sure what you mean by the "Sears special sockets" but I have a set of nut removers from Sears that work great. There are about 10 of them in a red plastic case. You pick the one that just fits over the rounded off bolt/nut, then whack it into place with a hammer. There are sharp reverse teeth that dig into the rounded off piece. The back end is a large six sided nut (19/22/24MM - I forget) that you put a socket and 1/2 ratchet or breaker bar on. Has yet to fail to remove a rounded off bolt or nut.

ah bobflood the day will come when it fails it will just snap it i always soak them with pb before i remove the bolt.

dave remove the liner soak with pb follow bobfloods instructions and youll be money

I would say if you past the point of using the bolt removers you will be needing some air tools. Possibly a chisel bit a case of PB blaster and some hopes and dreams. Question to you is, how did you get to the point of round off that bolt?

Back