Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Im REALLY in a PICKLE now....

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by davedaexplorer, February 11, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. davedaexplorer

davedaexplorer New Member

City, State:
    Louisville,Ky
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '96 XLT
    So,2 ALL MY Enthusiast-friends...Ive got a REAL problem...in swapn out my starter on my 96 w/5.0L Ive"SUCCEEDED"In rounding-off my TOP-STARTER bolt if Youre familiar w/the position then U know I dont have much room...I Went&got the"special"sockets that SEARS is now offering,NO-LUCK,PLease any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,Ive gotta drive the OLD-LADYS Toyota til I get it fixed,YUCK,LOL....Thanx A Bunch,davethaexplorer from the home the Explorer... Louisville,Ky.....

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. OneLever

OneLever Active Member

97 Mt. 5.0L AWD
    If you haven't already, take off the passenger side splash guard and then the rigid plastic fender liner. It will give you much better access to the top bolt. The fender liner is held on by about around six to eight small fasteners.

4. bobflood

bobflood Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Powder Springs, GA
    1997 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD
    Not sure what you mean by the "Sears special sockets" but I have a set of nut removers from Sears that work great. There are about 10 of them in a red plastic case. You pick the one that just fits over the rounded off bolt/nut, then whack it into place with a hammer. There are sharp reverse teeth that dig into the rounded off piece. The back end is a large six sided nut (19/22/24MM - I forget) that you put a socket and 1/2 ratchet or breaker bar on. Has yet to fail to remove a rounded off bolt or nut.

5. silentchris

silentchris Member

City, State:
    burke va
    02 explorer sport
    ah bobflood the day will come when it fails it will just snap it i always soak them with pb before i remove the bolt.

dave remove the liner soak with pb follow bobfloods instructions and youll be money

6. 1AJeremyD

1AJeremyD Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Mass
    95 XLT 4.0
    I would say if you past the point of using the bolt removers you will be needing some air tools. Possibly a chisel bit a case of PB blaster and some hopes and dreams. Question to you is, how did you get to the point of round off that bolt?