I'm stupid... how to use a wire connector | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm stupid... how to use a wire connector

psychotic

Reaction score
City, State
Olathe, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
RIP: '02 V8 Limited 4WD
I'm dumb, i can't figure out how to use these blue "scotchloc" connectors. I'm supposed to use it with my B&M electronic shift kit to crimp 2 wires together..... but i can't figure it out .... anyone know what i'm talking about?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you put the wirer you are trying to connect in it, along with the wire you are connecting it to, and just clamp the thing down. It will cut each wire and kinda slpice them. You may have to force it though....

If you look at the scotchlock there are two holes in one end and two the other but one is blocked off. To use slip the side with the slot over the existing wire so that it goes right through the scotchlock. Then push the new wire into the open hole as far as it will go. Then with your pliers squeeze the metal plate down until flush with the plastic. You can then close the cover which clicks in place. Job done.
Hope this solves your difficulty.

argh i can't picture it... lol forget the diagram for where the wires go, i need one for the connector

Ok these are the only pics I could find sorry that they are small.
sotchloc.jpg

smart7.jpg

Hope this helps.

those don't look like the thing i have.... maybe thats why i'm so confused

Are you refering to a normal "butt" connector? Is it just a small blue tube (about 1" long) with a metal collar inside it?

Robb

Don't use those! They tend to fail over time or fubar the wire you're trying to splice into. Sometimes their unavoilable, but try to do this:

Get enough slack in the cable you need to splice into. Cut it and strip the ends. Strip the ends of the new wire. Wind the 3 wires together running the same way and use an insulated crimped wire nut. Then wrap elect tape around it. As long as you don't pull too much, that will never come apart again. Or you can use the Posiloc twist and seal wire nuts.

Another alternative, if you don't have enough original wire for that, is to carefully cut and spread the insulation on the original wire without cutting the metal core. Then wrap the bare end of the new wire around that and tape.

You can also cut the original wire and strip the ends like before. Then use a butt connect Posiloc connector and on one side insert one end of the original and on the other insert the other original and the new wire. That works well also.

I've had too many problems with those scotchloc type things to use them again. Can you tell I don't like them, and that I wire often?

Originally posted by Alec
Wind the 3 wires together running the same way and use an insulated crimped wire nut.

Wire nuts are not a good connector for anything that is subject to vibration, eg, automotive/marine applications. They are and should be used in home wiring.

There are special crimpable "wire nuts" for automotive (esp audio) use. I do not mean one of those large yellow screw on ones. These connectors are fairly small, usually white, and sometimes the internal crimpable metal sleeve is filled with dialectric grease or silicone.

I classify any connector where all wires exit in the same direction a wire nut. Other connectors are butt connectors or scotchloc type autosplice connectors.

Don't use those! They tend to fail over time or fubar the wire you're trying to splice into.

I've had too many problems with those scotchloc type things to use them again. Can you tell I don't like them, and that I wire often?

I used to work for a heavy duty truck manufacturer (starts with a "P" ends with "t"). Company policy was that those scotchloc splices (like the picture Howard posted) were absolutely forbidden to be used. At one time they used to use them behind the dash to splice into 'hot' wires. However, they found that the warranty costs for repairing wiring were too high. It was less expensive in the long run to make up "jumper harnesses" to tap into power instead. The jumper harness was just a 'y' shaped harness to make one connection into two.

I like to use the uninsulated 'butt' splices to make connections and then apply heat shrink tubing to seal out moisture as much as possible. I have a special pair of crimp pliers made by Ideal to do a good crimp.

If you are really **** retentive, I would recommend using Weatherpak connectors which I have found for sale at Pep Boys. These are the same connectors that GM uses on the outside and in the engine compartment. They have a locking shell with rubber seals around the wires.

You can get away with the scotchloc splices on the interior, but don't use them on the outside or in the engine compartment because they provide no barrier to moisture whatsoever.

Originally posted by Howard
Ok these are the only pics I could find sorry that they are small.
sotchloc.jpg

smart7.jpg

Hope this helps.

i think those are taps. could be wrong though. mine looks like that when i tapped into the cig. power to power the CB.

I figured it out. it has 2 metal 'u's that are parallel when open which looks confusing. But what you do is connect a spade end the wire your need to connect. And crimp the blue thing over the wire you're splicing into. Then the spade "plugs in" to the blue crimp. weird...

Is what you're using called a "tap splice"? Cause that's what I bought to wire my fog lights to my parking lights, and they look similar to what Howard put up....

AH, the little scotchloc things with the spade terminal on the side? I would suggest not using them. I used to work with a bunch of kits that came with them and after seeing about 10 of them falling apart, I would just throw them out and solder the connections.

Just my 2 cents.

Robb

don't use them

don't use them

So what youre saying here is not to use them? :D

Originally posted by morrisey0
AH, the little scotchloc things with the spade terminal on the side? I would suggest not using them. I used to work with a bunch of kits that came with them and after seeing about 10 of them falling apart, I would just throw them out and solder the connections.

Just my 2 cents.

Robb

Solder covered by heat shrink is the way to go. The connector is the weakest link.

Thanks guys, sodering takes too long fer me. all those wires are packed in there tight by the computer. The scotchloc thingies work for now. If they fall off, no biggie, i'll notice my shift improver doesn't work and find a better way to connect the wires. BTW, MKK2 is my code, anyone know of a super/diablo/hypertech chip for sale, or where you guys have found the cheapest prices??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well, if those wire connectors fail, then you lose your tranny temporarily. if they work, then great. wrap them and the wires around in electrical tape and you should be fine.

Back