I'm stupid... how to use a wire connector | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm stupid... how to use a wire connector

if the connectors come off... the tranny would simply go back to its stock shifting. Am i messed up somewhere in my logic?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well, the wires you spliced into control tranny shifting, so if they become split.......

no biggie though, you know where the problem would lie.

when it was spliced into it didn't cut them, it just barely cut into the cover deep enough to contact the wire, so if they fell off, it would just be the stock wires still there.... this wouldn't cause me to lose my tranny temp would it?

no, just if the stockers get split

Originally posted by psychotic
when it was spliced into it didn't cut them, it just barely cut into the cover deep enough to contact the wire, so if they fell off, it would just be the stock wires still there.... this wouldn't cause me to lose my tranny temp would it?

One of the problems with this type of quick splice is that it cuts through the original insulation (which is the main idea of how it works). The problem with this is now moisture can get to the original wire and eventually corrode it. This is really a problem on the outside, but you might be surprised how much moisture can be on the inside of the car.

One way to minimize this problem is by using a covering to try to keep water out. At one time, 3M made a mastic patch which was designed for this type of application. It is a square (about 1.5 inch sq) that is made like Black Electrical tape on the outside and has gooey black mastic inbetween. You put it over the splice and then push it together so that it is sealed. I used one once on my alarm installation and it worked pretty well.

I agree with Alec about scotchlocs; don't use them. The exception that I would make is that they can be handy for temporary or emergency use, but you run the risk of messing up the original wire. I think that should put a warning label on the box for these : "May screw up your wiring if used incorrectly or in the wrong application"

Back