Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

??? In a dream world, I would.... (long post)???

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by Soundguy01tx, September 24, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Soundguy01tx

Soundguy01tx Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Katy, TX
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1991 XLT
      Ok, so we live in a Jones' society where we are all worried about who has what and how much happier they are than we are... Right? Thats what I thought... ok so statistics say that nearly 85% of people work in jobs they dont like, but they dont leave them to pursue "dream jobs" bc they need the stability of a steady job. This all got me thinking...
      I am almost 20, and by no means am I saying I am unhappy with life, but I have herad many many people who look back at their lives and say, "I wish I had..." or "I wonder what life would have been like if I had..." Frankly, I dont want to do that. I dont want to wait till my life is over half over before realizing that Im not happy. I personally am a firm believer in the "if you hate your job, then chage it" philosiphy... Same thing goes with where you live, what you drive... so forth... (except for who you marry... that is one commitment you MUST keep - but thats another thread)

Anyways, my question for you guys... If you could live anywhere in the US, and have any job you wanted (realistically - no "quality inspections for Budweiser" jobs), where would you be and what would you do?

Sorry I had to bold it so you guys wouldnt miss it... Anyways, Im interested in hearing your "perfect place" to live ideas...

Personally, I want a small town atmosphere where the grass is green, the trees are tall and shady, the temp is not over 85 most of the year, and I could feel safe letting my kids play in the yard unattended. Anyone know where this place exists? Or something like it?!?
      --bryan

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. rvitek

rvitek Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Wauconda, IL
      2001 XLT 5.0
      Ya know, great question.

I'm only 27 (in about 20 days) and I live in Chicago working as a software project manager for a dot com. I've been through a lot in my short life and I'd have to say... my perfect world is doing exactly what I'm doing right now, living exactly as I am now.

I've earned every single thing I have (well except for the bald head) and am very proud of it.

What would it be like doing / living somewhere else? Who knows, but if I think, "If I only could have done that..." what's the point of doing what I'm doing now?

I've taken my chances and have come out great... my dream is right here right now!

Sorry .. off my soapbox!

4. Howard

Howard Moderator Elite Explorer Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Milton Keynes
      1998 SOHC UK SPEC
      I live in a place just like that. Quiet peaceful never gets to 85 never mind over safe kids play no problem. But I am 44 now and have worked hard to get there. The best advice I can give is do today what you can and don't worry about tommorrow. Don't turn down any oppertunity to meet people or travel. Do enjoy what you have and don't always envy the other guy. Most of all be happy. You never know what is round the corner nor would it help if you did. For example in march this year my wife died from leukemia if I had known that was going to happen would I have married her in the first place? (of course I would). The firm that I worked for for over 15 years make me redundant (would I have even started there). As you get older you look back on your life because you can't look forward, naturally you ask yourself these question what if I had done that or this, but the strength of humanity is live now not tommorow. Enjoy now not tommorow. It would be a very sad place if you knew what was going to happen all the time, not even worth getting up in the morning and what about the day when we will surely die that would be too terrible to contemplate. So I say don't get all worked up about what might or might not happen. Live for today for tommorow who knows.
      Sorry about getting carried away but I am very glad to have had this chance to speak to you all.
      Thanks for your patience.

5. JGAMBLE

JGAMBLE B

City, State:
      Ft. Wainwright, Ak
      1994xlt
      Well I'm 31, in the army, stationed in Indianapolis. I'm happy here for now, however I am looking forward to going to Germany or Italy in the near future. I've already graduated college, but if I could go back I'd change my major. I'm trying to find time for college but with a wife, a 2 yr old and 70 hrs a week, it's tough. Ultimately I'm hoping to retire around the Gulf of Mexico.:redexp: I've just learned to try and be happy where I am, and if I'm not, the Army will change it about every 2 years:)

6. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      Dont forget you can reach your dreams by using your skills and situation to support them. Meaning I design elevators for a living, I have been in the elevator business since I was 14, I do not dream of designing elevators. I am a classically trained artist and that is where my true passion is, I draw portraits, etc...Someday I will use the $$$$ I make from a very lucrative career in the elevator industy to move on to what I really love. It takes hard work and determination to make it work, especially in the art world. The direct, go for broke, route is not always the most direct to acheiving what you really want.

7. ahhjaws

ahhjaws Moab Edition Explorer

City, State:
      Ft. Collins, CO
      1992 Explorer XLT
      Well, my dream life is where I am heading right now. I didn't want to be that type of person who wished their life was different, either. I came up with my dream career when I was a Sophmore in high school. I have never stopped working hard to get there. I will be applying for vet school next year because that is the career I would want to do for the rest of my life. As for a home, I just want a nice, quiet neighborhood, that people wouldn't mind me working on my car all the time. (Ahem) A medium town with a great family. We will see.

8. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
      I live in Paradise, the beautiful Gulf Coast of Florida.....

9. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      HAHAHAHAHAHA I have been to paradise and it;s not Florida, dont worry it;s not Colorado either....... Dont mind me I am dragging my ass today.........

Paradise is not one place, it;s more a state of mind if you ask me........although the coastline near Barcelona Spain is close to it.....

10. JoKKer

JoKKer Active Member

City, State:
      Jacksonville, FL
      98 Explorer Sport
      [(realistically - no "quality inspections for Budweiser" jobs), where would you be and what would you do?[/B]

Hey, I have a friend who is a quality inspector for Budweiser. No joke, and even he has days that he can't stand his job.

I find that really hard to belive, but he says he does.

I personaly think he's nuts. :eek:

11. JGAMBLE

JGAMBLE B

City, State:
      Ft. Wainwright, Ak
      1994xlt
      working for Budweiser:p can't stand american beer myself, the germans and english have figured beer out.

12. Lifted95X

Lifted95X The Xplorer U Luv to H8

City, State:
      EASTPOINTE, MI
      03 4.6 Mounty
      Kolsch.....good stuff.

13. JGAMBLE

JGAMBLE B

City, State:
      Ft. Wainwright, Ak
      1994xlt
      Kolsch, outta Seattle, right? I forget where it's from, but it's good beer.:cool:

14. section525

section525 sextion525 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Red Bluff, Ca
      1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
      Is anyone here happily married? Is it possible?

15. JGAMBLE

JGAMBLE B

City, State:
      Ft. Wainwright, Ak
      1994xlt
      YUP!!!!:) been happily married for about 5 months now:D of course we've know each other for about 3 years, hence the two year old.:rolleyes:

16. Lifted95X

Lifted95X The Xplorer U Luv to H8

City, State:
      EASTPOINTE, MI
      03 4.6 Mounty
      KROMBACHER

17. JoKKer

JoKKer Active Member

City, State:
      Jacksonville, FL
      98 Explorer Sport
      Yep, been married for almost 2 years now. Meeting my wife (Tammy, Had to mention her name just incase she looks at the post) :rolleyes: :D was the best thing that had ever happend to me. She got my life on track and doing alot better then before we met.

NOW, If I could just get her to give it back. :D (my life that is).

Marriage is blissful.