Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

In need of quick rust fix

Discussion in 'Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Rckslick333, September 5, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Rckslick333

Rckslick333 Active Member

City, State:
    Kittery, Maine
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2003 explorer nbx 4.6
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Joscibo

Joscibo Active Member

City, State:
    Central Wisconsin
    2004 Explorer
    It is fixable but it's bigger than you think. The entire wheel well has it starting if you see it there. Another 2-3 years it will look much worse.

4. Thub

Thub Active Member

City, State:
    Green Bay, Wisconsin
    Late Build 02 V6 4x4 XLT
    I just repaired a similar issue on my truck, exact same location. Trust me its way worse underneath. Pulling that plastic trim off will damage a lot of the remaining metal. On mine I could stick my hand up inside the wheel well and fit 3 of my fingers inside of the fender, that's how bad it was rotted out. I managed to grind out most of the bad metal and get it fixed up with body putty and etc, just to hold out for a few more years until I sell the truck.

I suggest you inspect the rust from behind and access the damage.

5. Glen4X4

Glen4X4 Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Lewistown, Pa
    2000 XLS
    As others stated, it is worse than what you are seeing, that plastic holds moisture in and the metal gets saturated with dust/dirt/water and it rusts it and it spreads. You are probably going to want to take it to an auto body shop to get it taken care of correctly...