In need of some assistance please? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

In need of some assistance please?

00.explorer.xls

Reaction score
City, State
berwick, pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer xls
Hi everybody im Stan im new to this forum. I have a 2000 explorer xls and im tired of googling my issues because they always steer me in the wrong direction so i decided to join a forum looking for some help. Thanks in advance!! So here is my problem, the last few days my wife and i have been noticing that the clock would dim to almost off and come right back on while driving it didnt think too much about it cuz it only happened a few times. Well today I had to run to wal mart which is about 40 mins away which i use the interstate, so I go there and everything is fine, I do what I gotta do get in the truck fired up no problem left wal mart now the interstate is right out of there parking lot so i get on the ramp seems fine, then when i got on the gas to accelerate the battery light came on and the gauge when up past the H, so i let off the gas and after a few seconds the gauge came back to normal light went off seemed ok but whenever i hit the gas It kept doing it. So I figure this cant be good, So any suggestions on what i can do or what the problem could be would be greatly appreciated. Thank You all very much!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If its any consolation to how anybody can guide me in the right direction i tested the battery with a multi meter. when the truck was off i got a reading of 12.95 and when the truck was running the reading was 14.20.

See how much tension you have on the belt tensioner if is doesn't spring back change it out also check the idler pulley
Also check your serpentine belt !

Are you saying the temp gauge rises past the H?

sorry had quite a few things come up last couple days havent been able to sign on. so my belt seem to be tight the tensioner pully seems to spring back not sure how to check idler pully? But i can tell you that my problem is still there and maybe getting a little worse. It seems to run fine around town but if im going up a hill and the truck shifts the battery light comes on and i lose electrical power for a brief moment or if i let my foot off the gas everything goes back to normal, also if i accelerate to pass a car does the same thing battery light on volt gauge goes sky high and loss of electrical power till i leave my foot off the gas pedal.

If you are getting up to 20 volts then your voltage regulator is toast. It is built in to the alternator. Pull the alternator and have it tested at an auto parts store.

I would be cautious about driving it around with this condition. That high of voltage could fry things including severly overcharging your battery.

could it even over charge the battery if the only time it does it is when i hard accelerate

sounds to me like an alternator/voltage regulator issue.

As you have found, its unlikely that your belt is slipping. Your likely problem is that your alternator is "broken"... :) could be the regulator portion BUT more than likely you have lost part of your diode pack on the rectifiers. Could be a loose connection on the battery feedback circuit.... falling open which might cause the alternator to increase voltage... maybe. Check to make sure your connections are tight. If you can replicate the issue easily... ie. station reving so that you can confirm your voltage readings with a real voltmeter, then you might find out a bit more.

if u have a HIGH voltage reading, belt slippage is not your problem, and if your not an accomplished rebuilder,, i would recommend finding a reman guaranteed alternator, ebay or something,, oreillys, kragen but first menbbe have it tested, but pretty sure u need an alternator,, your system electronics cannot take 20 PLUS volts, fix your alt problem before overcharging becomes an issue,, i guess what i mean is, fix your alternator,, quit worrying about if u keep driving it will it ocvercharge your battery,, replace it,, if your chimney is on fire,, dont worry bout smoke damage,, put the fire out,

I'm going with the voltage regulator being bad. I replaced mine when it starting going from discharging to overcharging. I had one on another alt so I swapped them. I priced buying a new one and I think they were close to fifty dollars. If I'd have had to buy one I'd have paid the 50 extra and gotten a new alt instead.

im with you, i think its bad too,, what is posters ability to change just reg???

Blown misc. light bulbs from running them at 30% past their designed voltage "only intermitantly" = $5-$100 depending on how many get blown

Toasted battery from continual over charginhg = $80+

Toseted computer from running it at 30% past its designed voltage LIMIT (15VDC) "only intermitantly" = $$$$$

Waiting to see how long it takes the OP to fix a bad alternator/voltage regulator = PRICELESS

Blown misc. light bulbs from running them at 30% past their designed voltage "only intermitantly" = $5-$100 depending on how many get blown

Toasted battery from continual over charginhg = $80+

Toseted computer from running it at 30% past its designed voltage LIMIT (15VDC) "only intermitantly" = $$$$$

Waiting to see how long it takes the OP to fix a bad alternator/voltage regulator = PRICELESS

lol, +1

It's a 99.99% chance it's either the alternator or the battery. If you don't have a multimeter, go to the mechanic and have him/her hook theirs up and read it for you. Run the truck in your driveway for a bit, maybe take a drive up and down your street, and if it dies, it's most likely the alternator (or a bad battery).

Back