In the market: 02 vs 03 vs 04 vs 05? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

In the market: 02 vs 03 vs 04 vs 05?

Silverblade

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
BC, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SOHC
Hey guys, I'm in the market to upgrade my 97 explorer to an 02-05 limited. Just wondering what the differences are between the years so I know which one I should buy. I was reading in one of the supercharger threads that in 04 they switched to drive by wire throttle bodies so there isn't any aftermarket options to upgrade the tb.

I doubt I will end up supercharging it because I want to be able to tow a boat and a car trailer and I believe it is not recommended to tow with a sc. I want the 4.6 and plan on doing a full exhaust, chip, cold air and depending on what's out there some of the intake. Down the road when my mustang is done I may do cams and/or heads but doubtful.

I appreciate any input, thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would say stay away from the 02 just because everyone says theres more problems...i have an 02 and i think im one of the lucky ones...i would prob try to find either 03-05 with low miles and the 4.6 with the tow package...depends on what you find with the price and the miles...im sure either year would be fine...goodluck with the search :thumbsup:

i would say stay away from the 02 just because everyone says theres more problems...
i would prob try to find either 03-05 with low miles and the 4.6 with the tow package...

Yeah like not8taxi said stay away from the 02's and definately go with a 4.6L with the 3.73 diff (should have the class III tow package).
Basic/Obvious changes:
03: Throttle cable and older style MAF used
04: Electronic Throttle Introduced and new style MAF sensor used
05: New larger Roof Rack is used

ive had 2 2002's and xlt and now an eddie bauer the xlt had 120,000 miles and the only thing i ever had to replace was the 4x4 module, so far my eddie bauer hasnt had any probs at 108,000. But yeah i'd go with what has previously been stated

Yeah like not8taxi said stay away from the 02's and definately go with a 4.6L with the 3.73 diff (should have the class III tow package).
Basic/Obvious changes:
03: Throttle cable and older styler MAF used
04: Electronic Throttle Introduced and new style MAF sensor used
05: New larger Roof Rack is used

sorry to hijack the thread :)
so i should change the MAF sensor to a newer model ???

sorry to hijack the thread :)
so i should change the MAF sensor to a newer model ???

I mispelled style. lol :p:

Probably not. It may mess with the emissions and the ecu. I tried to use an older style one (to get an intake to work) and it threw my engine into 'fail safe mode' so it could do that to yours. As soon as I re-connected the 04+ style one, the engine threw no codes and all was good :)
The older style has the advantage of a seperate MAF sensor housing and you can do an intake on it.

i see , i will try getting a new MAF sensor anyway cuz i have some shaking when idling :(

i see , i will try getting a new MAF sensor anyway cuz i have some shaking when idling :(

Try have the harmonic balancer balanced and rotated. I just had that done along with the front crankshaft seal replaced and a lot of the shaking is gone. 4.0's are known to have a bit of shaking. EDIT: You have the 4.0 right?

Try have the harmonic balancer balanced and rotated. I just had that done along with the front crankshaft seal replaced and a lot of the shaking is gone. 4.0's are known to have a bit of shaking. EDIT: You have the 4.0 right?

nah , i have a 4.6l
shaking i get is not too bad just a lil bit (idoubt that MAF i have is bad cuz otherwise there would be engine code but its corroded on the top so ill just give it a try , plus i work at a mechanic shop and i can return parts with no hassle :) )

nah , i have a 4.6l
shaking i get is not too bad just a lil bit (idoubt that MAF i have is bad cuz otherwise there would be engine code but its corroded on the top so ill just give it a try , plus i work at a mechanic shop and i can return parts with no hassle :) )

My bad I should've asked that first. I would expect a little shaking from any engine. The H.B a.k.a the dampener gets most of that vibration/shaking from the engine but there will always be some. Is it just in park or in drive too? And since you work at a shop you might as well use that parts return as much as possible :)

My bad I should've asked that first. I would expect a little shaking from any engine. The H.B a.k.a the dampener gets most of that vibration/shaking from the engine but there will always be some. Is it just in park or in drive too? And since you work at a shop you might as well use that parts return as much as possible :)

yea im one of those people that hear and feel every little problem :)
i can feel it in park at in drive when fully stopped....and its not a regular shake that you see from any vehicle its like the shake you get from a old muscle car
and yea im a mechanic in training and im planning to use all the advantages it brings me ;)

I have an 02 with the SOHC V6 and it went until about 120,000 before the timing chain cassettes exploded. Although I think she'll be back on the road soon, I wouldn't advise anyone to buy one unless they're a pretty good mechanic. Had a lot of other problems with it as well.

My buddy has an 05 and treated this thing better than he treated his wife :) What did he get for his troubles?....at 57,000 miles his timing cassette recently exploded in his left bank and threw a rod. His was also the SOHC V6.

My advice? Totally skip those years if they have a V6 in them.

My buddy has an 05 and treated this thing better than he treated his wife :) What did he get for his troubles?....at 57,000 miles his timing cassette recently exploded in his left bank and threw a rod. His was also the SOHC V6.

Thanks for the great news. I'll be expecting my 05 Ex to die. :p:

ive had 2 2002's and xlt and now an eddie bauer the xlt had 120,000 miles and the only thing i ever had to replace was the 4x4 module, so far my eddie bauer hasnt had any probs at 108,000. But yeah i'd go with what has previously been stated

i have an 02...love it...didnt have major problems until of late...but if i would go with something else i would prob go with the 05 4.6 with the tow package...just because its the last model of the gen...even though you still might have problems...

just make sure whaever truck you find you test drive and inspect thoroughly to understand what you are buying... goodluck:thumbsup:

same here :thumbsup:

I have a quiet (for now) chain rattle in the rear of the engine. I'm just waiting for it to get worse

To the O.P.: If you can go up to an 06 with the 4.6 3V. I haven't heard of too many issue with those ones.

To the O.P.: If you can go up to an 06 with the 4.6 3V. I haven't heard of too many issue with those ones.[/QUOTE]

i read only that the new 6 spd has a tranny issue when downshift it shifts hard...but i read most have fixed the problem...

:thumbsup:i usually browse the 4th gen threads also...

I can first hand say the 3v motors are great, that is what my Saleen started its life with. A lot more efficient than the 2v's

Back