Increase MPG on a 2003 Ford Explorer Sport? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Increase MPG on a 2003 Ford Explorer Sport?

Well hopefully carbon buildup isn't an issue for me. I only have 91,000 km on it (56,544 miles) so it's still quite fresh. Will pump those tires up tho. Yeah I definitely know what you guys mean though. But I'll try anything to save some cash on gas!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking at the bright side, you live in the most beautiful and in my mind the best place in north america! but i have a useful thought too- how cold is it there? cause unless your on the coast, its probally not warm and cold weather kills gas mileage and power in explorers. I live on the mn/ontario border and when the temps drop below 20 (all temps F), so does the gas mileage. when we had our cold spell and it didnt get above -10 for about 2 weeks, often dropping to -40, i was doing good to get 15 on the highway, it was probally closer to 13. and I had limited power too. usually 0 will get me about 17-18 highway and about 20 or 30 it SHOULD be back up to 23. all this is at 65 mph.

The 91 i had was never affected in any way by the cold, it ran fine, never lost power and gas mileage only changed when it dipped below -20. But I'm thinking either all the new junk that they threw in these newer explorers (2002+) has hurt it or mine is just wierd. So i guess what i am saying is what your planning on doing is good, a CAI is a must as well as synthetic. I have a K&N, no cats, all synthetic and 40 psi in stock tires when i used to have them. although after all this was said and done, my city mileage dropped to about 12-13 when my highway mileage went up by 2 mpg. same driving habits too. so try some stuff and wait til it gets above freezing before you really get worried. Good luck!

joey p, what is your gear ratio? 4.11!

Hah! well to my surprise I checked my wheels and guess how much psi was in there? 20psi in all of them except my rear passenger side, which was 40psi. I will gas up a full tank tmrw and begin my quest for 30mpg haha. work it out bit by bit....now that I have my tires filled, I will begin driving under 2500 rpm, the intake is next....researching researching...

I run 40 PSI in my tires, synthetic fluids, and use iridium spark plugs in an attempt to eek out a few extra MPG. This is the easy stuff.

I have 31 tires and a roof rack... which is definitely counterproductive... and get average 18mpg 60MPG @ 1800 RPMs which seems to be the sweet spot.

winter formula gas

Don't forget that in colder areas, they switch to winter formula gas, which will drop your mileage 5-10%. On my 01 sport, it's as regular as clockwork. The good news is that the mileage will go up in spring when they go back to regular formula.

Will a 4.11 gear reatio kill your MPG?
he said he had 33s on his truck, i was wondering if he was getting 17mph with 3.73 (or something like that) cause thats what i have for a set up and if he was getting this with 4.11 i should probably look into get some new gears soon my 10 mpg sucks

joey p, what is your gear ratio? 4.11!

Yep, 4:11 gear ratio. On the 3/5's of my commute, on the highway drive at 65, I'm barely above or below 2000 rpm. That helps a bunch!

Well hopefully carbon buildup isn't an issue for me. I only have 91,000 km on it (56,544 miles) so it's still quite fresh. Will pump those tires up tho. Yeah I definitely know what you guys mean though. But I'll try anything to save some cash on gas!

Actually Carbon buildup can happen in just a couple hundred miles. Make sure you don't use crap gas at places like clark etc to often. If you see Shell, BP, or Marathon gas for 1-2 cents more it's worth it as they also have chemicals added to the gas to cut the carbon. Next time you get down to 1/4 - 1/8 tank add a bottle of STP injector cleaner. Once added take it out on the Highway and open it up a couple of times, this should break free most carbon. Best way to tell is you will see a little bit more white smoke coming from your exhaust as your Cat Converter burns off the carbon.

Whenever I go on Vacation and let my parents baby sit my cars I come back thinking they drove it into the ground cause they only do 35mph in town with them.

4.11 Rear End

My motor turns at 2100 RPM at 60MPH with a 4.11 rear end.

Actually Carbon buildup can happen in just a couple hundred miles. Make sure you don't use crap gas at places like clark etc to often. If you see Shell, BP, or Marathon gas for 1-2 cents more it's worth it as they also have chemicals added to the gas to cut the carbon. Next time you get down to 1/4 - 1/8 tank add a bottle of STP injector cleaner. Once added take it out on the Highway and open it up a couple of times, this should break free most carbon. Best way to tell is you will see a little bit more white smoke coming from your exhaust as your Cat Converter burns off the carbon.

Whenever I go on Vacation and let my parents baby sit my cars I come back thinking they drove it into the ground cause they only do 35mph in town with them.

Is that STP injector stuff like seafoam? Or the power foam? In fact, anyone have any good experiences with that stuff? I may just try it out since it's only a $5 investment...I wonder where in Vancouver, BC I can pick up a bottle. Worst comes to worst I will just grab one on my way back down from bellingham from a Walmart.

Well, here are my numbers for the fills I have had these past week:

January 26, 2009
275km - 45 liters - 14.7mpg

January 28, 2009
186km - 30 litres - 14.6 mpg

After filling tires up to 40psi and only accelerating 2000rpm under:

February 4, 2009
230km - 34.5 litres - 15.6mpg

I gained 1mpg! Yay! I just bought an STP level 4 carb/gas cleaner. Apparently it should increase my mpg by 15%. We'll see....

Just bought a KKM intake, saving for the SCT Xcal3...

CONTINUING MY QUEST FOR 20 CITY!

Here's an update, just reached 16.5mpg city!!

February 13, 2009
333km- 50 litres- 15.6mpg $40USD

After installing KKM
New drive belt tensioner
STP Carb/fuel cleaner MAX
Lowering 1"

Feb 15, 2009
242km- 43 litres- 13.2mpg $39.59

Feb 24, 2009
159km- 22.65 litres- 16.5mpg $15.38

Your getting there! I've only averaged 16.2 and 16.0 the last two tanks of gas. I've been in more stop and go recently.

Our Sport has not been getting good millage since I disconnected the battery for some time. Cleaned the terminals, the computer would have to relearn the settings but no luck. I replaced the air filter, fuel filter even though there were no driveability issues before or now. The oil is synthetic as well but would not come up.

I did notice the oil is very dark on the dipstick and still to the top. Oil and filter have no more than 3000km on them. Either its running rich or the synthetic oil is cleaning buildup in the engine. But mixture is computer controlled so not much can be done their. I am debating whether to change it regardless of the millage on it. I can't see anything wrong or vacumn line issues either.

After all the following i gained something like 10mpg
new tensioner pulley (just the pulley the arm was good to go)
all idler pulley's
Spark plugs and wires
K&N filter (it's a bit pricey but i sprung for the lifetime one!)
Stopped using the regular oil and started using Synthetic and noticed alot more HP and increased mpg and lower idles.
I also cleaned the intake system including the air flow sensor and all the duct's and hoses.
Complete coolant system flush (make sure to flush the heater core in each direction numerous times)
It's just a bunch of little things that ultimately lead to the big pay off.

how did you flush the heater core in both directions

how did you flush the heater core in both directions
Very easy on these trucks, remove the hoses at the heater control valve. DO NOT LET THE HOSE GO FULL BLAST THOUGH it can hurt the core. A moderate stream of water that is pulsed on and off is very effective.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wouldnt that put allot of air in the system

Back