Indiglo gauges install, or HOW TO REMOVE CLUSTER!! ( warning 22 pictures ) | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Indiglo gauges install, or HOW TO REMOVE CLUSTER!! ( warning 22 pictures )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

okay.. I finally got my indiglo gauges installed thanks to this thread :cool: :D

one problem tho.. my gear indicator is off now. When I pulled out the dash, the white clip thing that holds the line into the indicator popped out, and now I'm having a hell of a time gettin the indicator adjusted correctly..

anybody have any secrets for this? :(
It's too far to the left.. even after I pop the clip back into the indicator, it's still too far left. And unfortunately I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and I dunno what to do :rolleyes:

ok nevermind... finally got it :cool:
I just decided to remove the steering wheel panel, and fidget with the indicator from there.
Finally got the plug in all the way. Seems like it's still off by a hair, to the right this time :rolleyes: , but it's much better.
and the gauges are sweet :D :cool:

Holy Moly! :eek: Thats a lot of taking stuff apart just to put in some indiglo gauges. Great write up tho.:thumbsup:

I used this thread to do mine... printed the damn thing out so I could use it for reference!! :D

When i installed mine I used it as well.....didnt print it out just had it on the computer during the process...kept running in and out of the house

Hey guys i just order my INDIGLOW guages and they should be here in a couple of weeks so i'll look forward to installing them with this detailed thread.
Just one question: My guage has a picture of an engine for the CEL the indiglow has something else there just like mine has a picture for the door's open and the indiglow has words "DOOR AJAR" should this still be ok ans will i still be able to see the dummy lights even if they dont match exact?????
thanks

Hey I installed my indiglos a while ago and they worked fine, but now when i turn on my headlights my indiglos flash bright for a sec then get dim, then they progressively get dimmer until they are like black with no light and u can barely see the speedo n stuff. I have the 6 color changing ones and only 1 green setting sort of works, but it still dims away. Is this a blown fuse or what do u guys think??

OK i got my guages and i will install them next Tuesday and let yas know.
But 1 question my CEL light is in a different place than on the indiglow guages so can i re-route the wires at the back of the cluster to change it or not????

Any one ever done the reverse indiglo gauges???

they seem a lil more complicated

vbtruk, No you can't rewire your cluster or at least I REALLY wouldn'ty recommend trying. Your best bet would to try and get new gauges that are correct.

GreatXpectation, The reverse indiglo install should be the same. The only difference is in the guages them selves, not the way they install.

I used this write up on the reverse indiglo gauges. Worked great.

These indiglow's i got are the closest to my OEM guages the only thing wrong is the CEL is in the wrong place.

Whats up everyone , this is a great post. I installed regular white face gauges about 2 years ago. I just purchased a set of Reverse Glow gauges off ebay ? the ebay seller asked me if i want regular glow or reverse.

My question is what is the difference ?

I hope i dont have a hard time lining these new ones up , and i remember these white face gauges had some adhesive on them hope its not to hard to take them off the last time was a nightmare! I can't believe I am even doing this again actually,

I've noticed you guys have had problems with the Light lining up also? I dred taking the needles off again

what a P.I.T.A

Nick -

The major difference between the normal indiglo and the reverse is that with the reverse only the numbers, letters, markings glow, instead of the background.

Use the search and you should be able to find pictures of the reverse guages.

good info i appreciate it. So if i were to get the ones that Are reverse, i wouldnt have to worry about The numbers lighting up because they are powered by Their own power supply correct? Because thats the problem im having now , my 50-70 mph are dim because i obviously didnt line it up correctly....

hmm

Nick

Yes, although you may have issues lining up the warning lights and/or blinkers, but that seems to be an issue with both the normal and reverse guages.

ive ordered sum gauge overlays for an 03 explorer sport. would these instructions work just the same?? the explorer is a couple hours away right now so i cant check... also the overlay is one giant piece not 3 dif ones... could i actually cut the overlay into smaller pieces as long as i dont kil any wires?? help :-o

The general proccess of installing the gauges will be the same, though the actual procedure will vary. If the new gauges are indiglo or reverse indiglo, DO NOT try and cut the gauge into seperate pieces. Doing so will damage the electrical connection within the guage and it will not light up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well these are the ones i ordered...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2462383963

im thinking that if i carefully cut little slits going from each opening to the lil screw hole beside it... i will have a lot larger holes to wrok with and maybe ic an fit the whole overlay on without removing any needles while at the same time... not messing with any of the lighting. any thoughts on that?? i dont wanan remove a needle and have it not put bac in the same exact spot and everyone has made me think its actually really tricky, any thoughts??

Back