Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Infinity Reference 1220w 12" subs.

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by Mike, September 17, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Mike

Mike Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      West Babylon, NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2001 XLT v8 AWD
      Ok guys.. i just got these subs today... welll i get them installed and they suck big time... i have a 750w 2 channel amp pushing them... they work and all but do not put out the bass i want.. or was even thinging of... they sound even with the radio all the way down like they are being pushed to hard... is this to much power for them? has anyone had these subs? do they suck? i paid 79.99 for them.. each.. should i bring them back? i have them bridged to the amp... any ideas? do i have them hooked up wrong? i played with the gain and they still sound like there not there.. i dont know what to do.. any and all info please post..

Mike

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Mike

City, State:
      West Babylon, NY
      2001 XLT v8 AWD
      btw there in a sealed box

4. Mike

City, State:
      West Babylon, NY
      2001 XLT v8 AWD
      anyone?

5. WoodysX

WoodysX Active Member

City, State:
      Ashburn Virginia
      91 EB & Q
      Heres an idea, I had a problem like this. Check your wiring, make sure that...picture this...each sub has one set of wires. Then connect the wires to the amp ++ - -. I had a problem with I connected the 2 subs to a seperate wire and then ran it to th amp and there was no bass, just garble

6. Mike

City, State:
      West Babylon, NY
      2001 XLT v8 AWD
      well there is bass... but there might as well be none.. i have to lay over the box.... to play with the amp before i feal anything.... i dont know if its just to much air for these subs to move... or the box is to big.. or the subs just suck... i dont know..

7. WoodysX

WoodysX Active Member

City, State:
      Ashburn Virginia
      91 EB & Q
      Yes try what I said to do, I did have the same problem, there was not a lot bass but when I gave each sub its own wire and then combined them at the amp there it was, BASS, just try it.

If the sub box is to big then you will notice that the subs dont move at all

If the box is to small then you will notice that the subs have a HUGE excursion, and that they are sucking the air in side the box trying to make some bass, they are moving very much!

But you might not be able to tell either of these unless you have the subs wired probally.

8. davesexplorer

davesexplorer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Central PA
      2001 F350 7.3
      How big is the box, if you are able to, try moving the box around, try facing it back to the hatch, leaving just enough room for the subs to move, kind like corner loading it. GOOD LUCK

9. oobreakbeatsoo

oobreakbeatsoo New Member

City, State:
      DeWitt, MI
      1993 Explorer Sport
      I have those exact subs with only a mono sub 400 watt amp and they knock. are they wired in series or parallel
      '

10. pband599

pband599 New Member

City, State:
      Apopka, FL
      99 Blue Base
      I would say check all of the connections pos to pos & neg to neg. also try them out of the box (freeair), then try them one sub then the other, make sure they (and the amp) work and 4ohms, then wire them both sub pos to the amp pos and both sub neg to the amp neg (thus wiring in parallel) and the should bump. Also make sure that the airspace of the box is enough for the subs .