Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Inline Filter Placement/HVAC??

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by IsaacJB97, March 17, 2018.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. IsaacJB97

IsaacJB97 New Member

City, State:
    Wylie, TX
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1997 Explorer xlt 5.0
    I’m about to install a new compressor, accumulator, condenser, tube and definitely want to install an in-line filter so I don’t just throw $500 and 8 hours in the garbage.

Where do I install the filter? If I’m standing in front of the vehicle looking at the system it goes from right to left: Compressor>Condenser>Accumulator>Evap>Compressor, correct? So do I install Post-Evap Pre Compressor? That’s kinda what makes the most sense to me. Or would I install Post Compressor Pre Condenser??

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    You need to install the in-line filter somewhere in the suction line before the compressor (as close to the compressor as possible would be best). It needs to go pre-compressor. You also need to flush the A/C system to get any loose crap out and add the correct A/C oil to the compressor before charging the system

4. SoHK_alumni

SoHK_alumni Active Member

City, State:
    Tampa, FL
    5.0 V8 2002 Ranger
    Commonly, the available in-line filters are sized to fit the liquid high pressure line between the condenser and orifice tube.

Just before the orifice tube is likely the best place.

But... with a new condenser, I think just taking the time to flush out the hose assemblies is all that is needed.

While prone to clogging, the orifice tube has screens at both ends to keep debris from getting into the evaporator and there is a dessicant filter in the accumulator to catch anything that does get past the orifice tube.

The hoses and condenser are where any debris from a failed compressor will hide, a new condenser solves most of that issue and flushing the hoses gets the rest.

5. Jason94sport

Jason94sport Well-Known Member

City, State:
    South FL
    02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
    Don't think it will matter. If your unlucky to get black death your going to have to take it all out & repair it anyway.