Input shaft and torque converter issues. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Input shaft and torque converter issues.

CB automedic

Reaction score
City, State
Norfolk VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 explorer 4.0l sohc
hello so im at a bit of a stall on this 4.0l rebuild the torque converter will not sit all the way back, i need it to go back about another half inch.
the input shaft which i hear comes right out is on their solid and will not pull out so i can realign it so hopefully it goes all the way in.
how long should the input shaft sit out past the pump shaft i think thats what its called?
and any ideas on how to get the input shaft out and get the torque converter to set in?
thank you in advance =)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The shaft is probably in backwards, clamp a vice grip on the spline and tap underneath with a small hammer to remove. The splines on the ends look the same but they are different, the shortest spline goes in the trans. Stand the trans up and carefully install the shaft. The pilot on the torque converter should be about 1/2 inch below the outer edge of the bell housing.
Read this post.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319147

sooo i figured it all out and have created a really cool easy trick to get these things out painless i took a brass battery terminal put it around the base of the shaft and took a slid hammer with a jaw attachment and attached it to the battery terminal and started sliding the hammer back popped right out and don't have to worry bout vise grips sliding off and messing up the grooves on the input shat thank you every one for your reply's

Was it in backwards?

Back