Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Input shaft and torque converter issues.

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by CB automedic, August 7, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. CB automedic

CB automedic New Member

City, State:
      Norfolk VA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      03 explorer 4.0l sohc
      hello so im at a bit of a stall on this 4.0l rebuild the torque converter will not sit all the way back, i need it to go back about another half inch.
      the input shaft which i hear comes right out is on their solid and will not pull out so i can realign it so hopefully it goes all the way in.
      how long should the input shaft sit out past the pump shaft i think thats what its called?
      and any ideas on how to get the input shaft out and get the torque converter to set in?
      thank you in advance =)

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the transmission section. Could the input shaft turn the front pump or is it seized in place?

4. PopRichie77

PopRichie77 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Quakertown, PA
      2001 Explorer Sport 4X4
      The shaft is probably in backwards, clamp a vice grip on the spline and tap underneath with a small hammer to remove. The splines on the ends look the same but they are different, the shortest spline goes in the trans. Stand the trans up and carefully install the shaft. The pilot on the torque converter should be about 1/2 inch below the outer edge of the bell housing.
      Read this post.
      http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319147

Last edited: August 9, 2011
    5. CB automedic

CB automedic New Member

City, State:
      Norfolk VA
      03 explorer 4.0l sohc
      sooo i figured it all out and have created a really cool easy trick to get these things out painless i took a brass battery terminal put it around the base of the shaft and took a slid hammer with a jaw attachment and attached it to the battery terminal and started sliding the hammer back popped right out and don't have to worry bout vise grips sliding off and messing up the grooves on the input shat thank you every one for your reply's

6. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      Thanks for the update!

7. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

City, State:
      VA
      2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
      Was it in backwards?