Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

INPUTS ON WHEEL EXTENDERS??

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by Firedawgy, September 15, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Firedawgy

Firedawgy Member

City, State:
      Charleston, SC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 XLT 4x4
      Saw some I guess they would be called "wheel extenders" a little while back on Ebay for sale. These bolt between your rim and brake rotor and extend the Explorers wheel out 1 1/2 inch. This seems to be a very good idea for the late 90's EB's like mine that have the tires sitting way inside the fender flares. Not looking for the "lowrider pimp daddy" look, just want to get away from that narrow look that the EB's have. These were made just for the Explorer and not a multi use piece. Anyone tried these? Positives, negatives? If they are good and won't effect my drivability where can I get a set?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. alphabets13

alphabets13 Well-Known Member

2004 Mountaineer Premier
      i think they would look nice but aren't they kinda expensive? maybe cheaper on ebay though

4. Jason_25

Jason_25 Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member

City, State:
      New Bern, NC
      '95 Explorer "Expedition"
      As long as you're not into fourwheeling these would be ok for you. But they do tend to put more leverage onto the weak front hub assemblies.

5. 98GT-40P

98GT-40P Member

City, State:
      Scottsdale, AZ
      '98 Mountaineer
      Mechanically, I would wonder about loads at the wheel bearings that were not taken into account by the Ford engineers. It probably is not that significant if it is a street vehicle. I wouldn't do it on a serious off-roader. I know many mustangers that use 1" H&R hubcentric spacers w/o problems. If it is not hubcentric, then you are probably asking for trouble.

p.s. I hate that EB fender/wheel look too. I saw many EB's with the options I wanted but had to hold out for a Mounty because it doesn't have those flares. I wish it had the trip computer of the EB's and Monterey Mountaineers though. Oh well, the extra cubby holes are handy.