Inside Tire Wear on Both Rear Tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Inside Tire Wear on Both Rear Tires

Crocketts Ford

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer V8
I have a 2006 Ford Explorer AWD that is getting inside tire wear on the rear tires. Looking through the forum I can't find anyone that has directly touched on this subject. My question is, is there a way to adjust the camber on the rear to correct this problem. Looking under the vehicle it appears that there no adjustment for this. I suspect the rear springs are sagging. Can anyone confirm that the corrective action should be to replace the rear struts/springs? I want to make sure this isn't a simple adjustment before I drop $400 on new rear struts. I have found you could check the ride height to see if the springs are bad, but I can't find info on this for my vehicle, or how to measure it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes the rear camber can be adjusted. From the factory mine was out of spec. and there was enough adjustment in the stock setup to fix it, otherwise you will have to purchase a kit to change out two bolts on the rear to get the necessary adjustment. Unless you have been carrying a lot of heavy loads on the rear and bouncing around a lot with the heavy loads I would be surprised if the springs are sagging. I personally would just pay a shop for an alignment and they will be able to tell you what the course of action needs to be.

Thanks for your input. I will take it to a shop to see what they have to say.

Hi Crockett’s Ford

Did your explorer feel like it was going to roll over going around a curve? Did the alignment fix your problem?

Check those wheel bearings too. They can also cause wheel to tilt inward

I have replaced my wheel bearings about 5 months ago. After I replaced them that’s when I feel like it’s going roll over on a curve.

Thanks

I have a 2006 Ford Explorer AWD that is getting inside tire wear on the rear tires. Looking through the forum I can't find anyone that has directly touched on this subject. My question is, is there a way to adjust the camber on the rear to correct this problem. Looking under the vehicle it appears that there no adjustment for this. I suspect the rear springs are sagging. Can anyone confirm that the corrective action should be to replace the rear struts/springs? I want to make sure this isn't a simple adjustment before I drop $400 on new rear struts. I have found you could check the ride height to see if the springs are bad, but I can't find info on this for my vehicle, or how to measure it.
Changed the rear Shocks,

Rear axle do have camber adjustment bolts.
But knuckle,travel arms and strut bushings needs to be totally ok before any action performed.

Is there a kit for the 2006-2008 Explorers that will allow for an upgrade to an adjustable rear suspension (camber, toe, etc.)? I would think there is something for a similar Mustang IRS that should be similar.

Back