Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Inspection - "recommended" services

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by JimM_PA, November 1, 2008.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. JimM_PA

JimM_PA New Member

City, State:
    PA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    01 Sport 4x4
    I just had my 2001 Explorer Sport inspected. The vehicle passed inspection, but I was given a list of recommended services, including replacement of lower front left balljoints, left inner tie rod ends, and both front bearing & seals. I was considering a set of shocks before the inspection.

If I tackle one issue at a time over the next few months, what sequence of repairs would be most cost effective? Ball joints before front wheel hubs or vice versa? Replace shocks and tie rods? Replace both right and left lower balljoints while the vehicle is in the shop?

I will get some estimates for the work before doing anything. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. JDraper

JDraper Somewhat Functional Moderator Emeritus

Media:
    City, State:
    McVeytown, PA
    '18 XLT
    If it passed inspection, you don't need to do those things they "recommended". A PA safety inspection tests all those components, and the vehicle won't pass unless they are good. They're just trying to get more money out of you. Don't fall for it.

4. JoeMahma

JoeMahma Active Member

City, State:
    Pa.
    1997 Mercury Mountaineer
    Yup!

5. JimM_PA

JimM_PA New Member

City, State:
    PA
    01 Sport 4x4
    I didn't, and it's why I posted the question here. Given the threads on this forum describing issues with ball joints in particular, I wasn't surprised by the recommendation. This wasn't the first mechanic who told me to keep an eye on them.

6. fixxxer

fixxxer Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Aurora, Co.
    93 XLT 4X4
    do the ball joints and the tie-rod ends at the same time or you'll have to pay for two alignments

7. JimM_PA

JimM_PA New Member

City, State:
    PA
    01 Sport 4x4
  8. project92

project92 Active Member

City, State:
    missouri
    00E.B.,93 xlt 92 xlt
    find a good shop to do the work... I do alot of my own work on my trucks and after doing my first set of balljoints I said never agian... I have a good shop with good labor rates and a great front end alignment just got both side done one upper balljoint(moog) a 2 new rotors new caliper and front end algment cost was under 600 but was cheeper cuase it was warrenty work.... one side note get MOOG parts this truck has ate 3 sets of autozone lifetime warrnety parts...