How to: - install a Aftermarket Stereo if you have a JBL Factory System. Intructions | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: install a Aftermarket Stereo if you have a JBL Factory System. Intructions

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
I can't think of anything more dangerous than your post. To make a blanket statement like that is so fool hardy it should be removed. Overload that circuit and see what happens. You could be safe...and you could be so off base it isn't funny.

You shouldn't turn on a Ford amp with a 12V source. Ford doesn't do it...and neither should you. Thus the infamous "pop".

The use of that circuit to control a relay(s) is a much more desirable statement...and much safer and professional.

Welcome to the Forum...but please be careful about making blanket statements without clarification. Since you don't know what everyone could possible be adding to a circuit, you could be contributing to a huge hazard situation. We just don't know what each circuit will draw...even if it has a separate power source.

Exactly... Just stupidity in the making.... If you do what he said, you deserve what happens when you most likely fry all your wiring. And circuits.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no JBL system..?

I have a 2001 XLT yesterday i started taking apart the dash to install a Kenwood headunit and a 15'' Pyle subwoofer with a 1400 watt Pyle amp. the issue I came across is that the wiring harness I had purchased (scosche FDK106) it has four connectors but I only have 2 coming from the stock headunit. :eek: What am I missing here? Did I get the wrong wiring harness? I do not have a JBL system in it. Now my dash is all torn apart and no progress.

Most of the scosche adapters fit multiple vehicles. Mine has 4 plugs on it but only 2 are used.

Would this be the same for a 93 with the jbl? I have the 93 eb edition with the premium JBL and I already ordered the new deck. thus far I have replaced the 2 way speakers with 3 ways and I unplugged the blown sub from the amp. I am looking to hook up a 400 watt sub to the amp also but I cant figure out what the wattage the amp is rated for or the OHM that it is rated for. Do you have answers?

Radio IS technicaly in the back

someone already said it, back to what you were doing, don't mind me, nothing to see here.

Next, I would kick this guy's ass for telling you that you can't have a factory subwoofer. It just takes a little work is all. First, did he use the correct harness kit? Metra 70-5601 It's a large kit that includes a long antenna lead to bring everything from the back of the car (where the JBL radio is installed) to the front where your new head unit is. When he was running that harness, he should have run an RCA for your subwoofer too. I can't remember if the Metra harness has the enable wire for the amp or not, but if not, you run a wire with the RCA and harness for that. (I think that's what I did) Power for the amp is already there at the amp. You use a simple adapter from RCA to two wires and hook it up to the amp plug in the correct spot. You now have the factory subwoofer. Be advised you may have to resist or regulate the enable voltage to the factory sub amp. It uses 5V from the factory and your new radio is probably 12V. You can get a pop on turn on. The fix is easy.
I hate to bump an old thread, but I'm dealing with trying to get the factory JBL subwoofer to work with the new Pioneer DEH-X6600BT I bought for my daughters 1996 Eddie Bauer. I bought the Metra 70-5601 to connect the Pioneer to the four main speakers and that is working just fine. The subwoofer amp has three connectors that plug into it. Two on the bottom of the unit and one on the top. As far as I can tell, the two on the bottom are for power in and the output to the subwoofer. On the top is a connector with three wires - Subwoofer High Audio IN (+), Subwoofer High Audio IN(-) and Subwoofer High Audio Mute. I have checked the power in and I have +12v. I don't see where there is an enable wire for the subwoofer amp (unless it is the Subwoofer High Audio Mute).

The Pioneer has two RCA outputs for the subwoofer. I presume I would take the two signal wires from the two separate RCA lines and combine them into one and they would go to the Subwoofer High Audio IN (+) and the grounds would go to the Subwoofer High Audio IN(-)

Thanks for any assistance!

I hate to bump an old thread, but I'm dealing with trying to get the factory JBL subwoofer to work with the new Pioneer DEH-X6600BT I bought for my daughters 1996 Eddie Bauer. I bought the Metra 70-5601 to connect the Pioneer to the four main speakers and that is working just fine. The subwoofer amp has three connectors that plug into it. Two on the bottom of the unit and one on the top. As far as I can tell, the two on the bottom are for power in and the output to the subwoofer. On the top is a connector with three wires - Subwoofer High Audio IN (+), Subwoofer High Audio IN(-) and Subwoofer High Audio Mute. I have checked the power in and I have +12v. I don't see where there is an enable wire for the subwoofer amp (unless it is the Subwoofer High Audio Mute).

The Pioneer has two RCA outputs for the subwoofer. I presume I would take the two signal wires from the two separate RCA lines and combine them into one and they would go to the Subwoofer High Audio IN (+) and the grounds would go to the Subwoofer High Audio IN(-)

Thanks for any assistance!

Let me see what I can dig up. Unfortunately, it may be a day or so...I have other commitments toady. (AKA Honeydo's1) In the mean time, try going to www.the12volt.com for assistance. But at first glance, I didn't see anything.

I your answer...I just need to get to it for you. I'll be back

Ok...I decided to just get this to you so you can work on it today

First, is one of your three connectors actually a pigtail? I'm not showing three connectors that plug directly into the amp. Just two...plus one that MAY be a pigtail. Regardless, this is what I show you have:

(1) A LG/P wire that should be 12V hot at all times.
(2) A BK/LG wire that is ground.

***Both of these wires appear to be in the pigtail connector***

(3) A BR/O wire that is audio in negative from stereo
(4) A R/BK wire that is audio in positive from stereo
(5) A DG/P wire that is the enable feed.

***The enable feed should be a 5V signal. You can try a 12V enable...which is what pioneer will give you, but I'll bet the sub pops like crazy when you turn it on. Google "Ford subwoofer pop" and you will find solutions. Alternatively, www.avic411.com will have slolutions.***

The three wires in 3, 4, and 5 should all be on one connector that plugs into the amp.

(6) A BK/W wire that is amp negative to the subwoofer
(7) A BK/LG wire that is amp positive to the subwoofer

These are both in the same connector that plugs into the amp.

Ok...I built my own adapters from RCA to wire connectors so I could wire the amp to the RCA outputs in the harness. That was very dumb. Just go to Radio Shack (if you can find any open still!) and buy them. They are cheap.

As to wiring the two subwoofer leads together, I THINK what I did was simply use a singe RCA to double RCA adapter. Again from Radio Shack. I wish I were more certain of that, but I'm pretty darn sure that's what I did. Made it a nice clean connections.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Low Level vs High Level Inputs

Nevermind - I found all my answers in previous posts.

Hello,

I need help. So i excuse me for my language cause i'm french.

I have a 97 Eddie Bauer. His stereo is dead so i want to swap it whith an aftermarket. But i don't understand how is made the wiring.

Can you help me?

I joint some pictures of my connectors.

Thanks a lot

William

1556194193-img-20190425-135525.jpg
1556194175-img-20190425-135531.jpg
1556194306-img-20190425-135547.jpg

Hello,

I need help. So i excuse me for my language cause i'm french.

I have a 97 Eddie Bauer. His stereo is dead so i want to swap it whith an aftermarket. But i don't understand how is made the wiring.

Can you help me?

I joint some pictures of my connectors.

Thanks a lot

William

1556194193-img-20190425-135525.jpg
1556194175-img-20190425-135531.jpg
1556194306-img-20190425-135547.jpg

You need the scosche wiring harness with the older rectangular connector and square. Avoid the 99 and up wiring kits. I'll send a pic when I get home

Back