Installing a backup camera & replacement sound system | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing a backup camera & replacement sound system

pjw73nh

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 LTD
Greetings,

My bad for not checking here BEFORE ordering.

I just ordered a replacement radio/cd/dvd system for my 2008 Ltd 'splorer. It currently has premium sound, Sync, Bluetooth but no nav. I want to install this backup camera (or talk me into something else) with the new system and I am not sure what to expect when I get into the tailgate to install it / run cables

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_074RVCLPMB/Accele-RVCLPMB.html

I suspect I am going to have to thread some cables up through the "rubber tube" at the top of the tailgate where it goes into the roof/headliner, then get it to the front of the car under the dash.

Is there any chance that there is already wiring in place that I could use (even with a little schematic tracing and splicing)?

Anyone done this or have any thoughts, tricks, tips, suggestions or alternate cameras?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What head unit did you purchase?

I did the Lockpick mod to my head unit with DVD. It works but I am not happy with the pix quality. I removed the plastic trim on the tailgate, and snaked the wires thru the rubber boot and drooped the headliner a little on the driver side, and ran the wire thru the A pillar down to the knee area. It was not that bad.

I did the Lockpick mod to my head unit with DVD. It works but I am not happy with the pix quality. I removed the plastic trim on the tailgate, and snaked the wires thru the rubber boot and drooped the headliner a little on the driver side, and ran the wire thru the A pillar down to the knee area. It was not that bad.

What is the "lockpick" mod? Also, thanks for the tip/encouragement on the camera wire snaking.

Were you able to fit an RCA plug (the video plug) through the "rubber boot accordion" at the top of the tailgate? Or did you cut the RCA plug off and re-solder it back on?

Also, how difficult is pulling the headliner down enough to run a wire.? I am told that you have to be careful to not interer with the potential trajectory of the side curtain airbags.

Just as an side, yesterday I tried to figure out how to remove the overhead console at the front of the car (by the rearview mirror). It has built in garage door buttons, and the moon roof switch. I wanted to put a mic up there. The shop manual says there is a screw (or two) there. I couldn't find it. I tried pulling the lens off the interior overhead light. Nothing but a reflector there. No screws. I gave up.

I did not cut the wire. I used a piece of stiff wire (wire hanger), taped the RCA end to it, coat it with Vaseline or electric grease and just snake it thru. It's tight but goes in and out.

To drop the headliner, remove the coat hooks on one side, the rear trim over the tailgate inside, A and B pillar trims, sun shades and it should drop enough to run wires.

Once you do that, there is enough room to run the RCA cable.

I took the overhead console down once but don't recall the "trick" but there was something to it to release it.

I did not cut the wire. I used a piece of stiff wire (wire hanger), taped the RCA end to it, coat it with Vaseline or electric grease and just snake it thru. It's tight but goes in and out.

To drop the headliner, remove the coat hooks on one side, the rear trim over the tailgate inside, A and B pillar trims, sun shades and it should drop enough to run wires.

Once you do that, there is enough room to run the RCA cable.

I took the overhead console down once but don't recall the "trick" but there was something to it to release it.

WOW !!!! EX_PL, Thanks for the quick response.

Do you think I can run it on the passenger side instead of the drivers side. (Probably a little longer). My reason is, when I installed the head for the last time yesterday, I left the vid cable (already connected to the head) hanging out by the passenger foot area plastic.

I HATE taking the head out of the dash. Not because it's difficult, but because, by the time I've got the RR Maestro, the harness(es), the antenna adapter and the radio itself, it is a REAL PITA to fit everything in. It's a crap shoot every time I take it out. I am worried about pinching or disconnecting a wire, blocking the fan, cutting a wire on some of the sharp metal behind it etc.

Ever hear of anyone running it along the floor? (under the carpet, and rocker panel scuff plates)?

Thanks again for the help and the quick reply....

I do not see any reason why you could not do it on the pass side. It's the same principle. I ran it on the driver's side since my hook up requires an adapter under the steering wheel and also the back up wire is under the driver side door seal.

With the wire running under the floor, you may run into a situation where after numerous entries by people, it may wear thru where the occupants step on it, unless you position it somehow out of the way. But otherwise, why not ?

Back