Installing HID? Read this first. | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing HID? Read this first.

Busy morning for me on this topic! :)

I've decided on the DiodeDynamic Hi/Low HID conversion kit with 9005 bulbs in the 6k color. I assume this is very white with just a hint of blue, correct? $150. Do I need a wiring harness? I couldn't even locate one as an option. Necessary? I've used them in the past, FYI.

For the Fogs, I am going to try the XP80 LED's in 6k color. $90.

So, $240 out the door. I'm now looking for instructions on how to remove the bumper cover and access the drivers headlight as it appears to be the PITA where as it was the passengers on my old Fusion.

Let me know if my assumption on the color - true white with just a hint of blue - is correct on the 6k color. Also, if I should get the harness and, if so, where at on their site. I could not locate it.

Thanks!
Shumax

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the idea, but it seems most are using it as a FOG light replacement. Anyone know how these will compare to the HID kits?

Shumax

You're right I had my info wrong, they are for Fog Lights not headlights.

I ordered the 6k HID headlight kit and the 6k LED foglights (X80). I didn't get a harness as I couldn't find one on their site. Perhaps this kit/vehicle won't need one??

Shumax

you shouldn't need to remove the bumper, the HID kits are typically P&P. The right hand side one is a B*TCH to get the bulb turned and "snapped" into place but otherwise easy conversion.

Ya I installed my DD HID kit without removing any bumpers, but experienced the dreaded PIA right side install. Your essentually doing it by feel, because you cant see anything. Make sure the bulb is seated correctly, I thought mine was and it was not.
Took about 60 to 90 minutes, depends on who interrupts you!

I'm somewhat familiar. I installed the Morimoto kit on a 2010 Fusion...4 times, because their ballasts were terrible. TERRIBLE. So, I have a feel for how to do it. I popped the hood and looked around today and it actually looks easier to get to than the Fusion.

I'm a bit concerned about the harness as it was necessary on the Fusion to avoid voltage drops/no fire situations. I got an email from Diode today that the order shipped, but I didn't see the harness I included that I emailed them about early this morning. I suspect it was missed. Hopefully they catch it and send it tomorrow. Then again, maybe it's not even needed on the Explorer?

Shumax

Dynamic Diode Harness

I ordered and installed the Diode Dynamics HID conversion kits for my Explorer Sport last October. I had some difficulty installing the kits, but it went pretty smoothly. For the fog lights, I removed the screws on the very bottom of the bumper cover, where it ties in with the shield. Once I did this, I had plenty of room to work. As for the headlights, I just took my time, and I was already familiar with having to contort my hands and arms to circus performer positions, from changing out different types of HID bulbs in the past.

As for the harness adapter, I ordered and installed the one that I had purchased. The only problems was that it kept my fog lights on all night and completely drained my battery. I had to get my Sport towed to the dealership. I didn't tell them what happened, because I figured it out before the tow truck arrived and removed the adapter. Ford Roadside Assistance paid for the rollback, and my dealership installed a brand new battery for me, free of charge. So it worked Olin the end for me, just some headaches and lost work time.

I contacted Diode Dynamics and told them what happened. They immediately issued me an RMA for the harness adapter, and apologized several times for the problem. They told me that our Explorers don't always need them, but they recommend purchasing them if you are unsure. So I doubt you will need it.

Good luck, and hope you enjoy your Explorer.

I'm curious as to why the vehicle's battery saver program didn't turn the fogs off after a while. As far as I know, the only lights NOT turned off by that system are the parking lights.

Peter

I just finished installing my Diode Dynamics 6k HID kit on my 2014 Sport. It literally took me 15min. to hook up both sides. A bit tight on the passengers side, but NOTHING like my 2010 Fusion Sport.

It then took me another 45min. to tuck the wires and mount the ballasts. Came out good and the kit seems to be higher quality than I was used to from The Retrofit Source - Morimoto parts.

Light output is good, but I can see the "spray" from the cut off line. It's better than in my Fusion, though, for sure.

Going to install the LED fogs this afternoon.

Thanks for the tips, everyone!
Shumax

I just finished installing my Diode Dynamics 6k HID kit on my 2014 Sport. It literally took me 15min. to hook up both sides. A bit tight on the passengers side, but NOTHING like my 2010 Fusion Sport.

It then took me another 45min. to tuck the wires and mount the ballasts. Came out good and the kit seems to be higher quality than I was used to from The Retrofit Source - Morimoto parts.

Light output is good, but I can see the "spray" from the cut off line. It's better than in my Fusion, though, for sure.

Going to install the LED fogs this afternoon.

Thanks for the tips, everyone!
Shumax
Do you have a link for this kit?

So, I drove with the new setup last evening and HATED them. Lots of dead spots; brights aiming to the sky and general lack of focus. Got to thinking - wonder if the bulbs are in correctly? Checked and sure enough, they were not. Seated them correctly and it is much better. FYI...

So, I drove with the new setup last evening and HATED them. Lots of dead spots; brights aiming to the sky and general lack of focus. Got to thinking - wonder if the bulbs are in correctly? Checked and sure enough, they were not. Seated them correctly and it is much better. FYI...

What did you do exactly to correct this? I have had the same problem, but have been just dealing with it.

I pulled the dust covers and noticed the bulbs were not seated in the mount. So, there are two big prongs and one smaller prong on the bulb. Only one of the bigger prongs was seated in the mount. I simply twisted and removed the bulb and then carefully lined up the two big and one small prongs from the bulb to the headlight mount. From there, twisted it and it seated easily. I was just doing it by feel before as its a pain to see back there. Get a small make-up mirror from your wife and use it to look at that back side of the headlight and you will see what I am talking about. Good luck!

I pulled the dust covers and noticed the bulbs were not seated in the mount. So, there are two big prongs and one smaller prong on the bulb. Only one of the bigger prongs was seated in the mount. I simply twisted and removed the bulb and then carefully lined up the two big and one small prongs from the bulb to the headlight mount. From there, twisted it and it seated easily. I was just doing it by feel before as its a pain to see back there. Get a small make-up mirror from your wife and use it to look at that back side of the headlight and you will see what I am talking about. Good luck!

Exactly what happened to me.

You guys are the experts here and looking for some advice before I pull the trigger. There's a place not to far from me that does HID conversions, this is the site as to what's offered. They said it will work on my 2013 Explorer XLT. Thoughts?

http://www.canyouhearit.com/index_files/Page404.htm

You guys are the experts here and looking for some advice before I pull the trigger. There's a place not to far from me that does HID conversions, this is the site as to what's offered. They said it will work on my 2013 Explorer XLT. Thoughts?
They likely will work but as has been mentioned here in a few posts, to do a proper conversion, the projector inside the headlight housing must also be changed since halogen and HID bulbs produce light differently. That is why the OEM halogen and HID headlamps each have a different internal setup.

Peter

SHUMAX - I hope you're around and see this. I've ordered and just received the exact same conversion kit from Diode Dynamics and am planning to install it tomorrow (Sun 12/13/15) on my wife's 2013 Explorer. However, I've gone to the DD site and they seem to no longer post the installation manuals (this is very disappointing -- if they don't post them, then they should include them with the kit. In fact, the kit says to go to the site to get them! Frustrating!).

I'm hoping you might be able to shed some installation tips since I'm pretty blind without ANY kind of installation help. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron

SHUMAX - I hope you're around and see this. I've ordered and just received the exact same conversion kit from Diode Dynamics and am planning to install it tomorrow (Sun 12/13/15) on my wife's 2013 Explorer. However, I've gone to the DD site and they seem to no longer post the installation manuals (this is very disappointing -- if they don't post them, then they should include them with the kit. In fact, the kit says to go to the site to get them! Frustrating!).

I'm hoping you might be able to shed some installation tips since I'm pretty blind without ANY kind of installation help. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Please complete your profile by adding the model and 'trim' level of your 2013. Thanks.

Peter

I am around and happy to help. Pm me your email or phone and I can text you photos. Glad to help! Mine is working great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am around and happy to help. Pm me your email or phone and I can text you photos. Glad to help! Mine is working great!

74f43das-960.jpg

230c3das-960.jpg

82f43das-960.jpg

Back