Installing new cluster need help with setting mileage. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing new cluster need help with setting mileage.

Terryhan05

Reaction score
City, State
Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Police utility
Hello everyone. I have a 2014 I am getting ready to install a new dash cluster. Looking for info on setting mileage on new one. Is that something that I can do in forscan ? Thanks for your response in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you swapping the current cluster with a similar one?

Peter

Yes I’m just replacing it with another stock one. It’s cheaper to replace then repair.

Yes I’m just replacing it with another stock one. It’s cheaper to replace then repair.
I was just was wondering since some have replaced theirs with a cluster from a different trim level. Swap in platinum speedo / cluster??
I don't recall seeing anything about how exactly to change the odometer.

Peter.

I'm pretty sure the vehicle mileage isn't stored in the instrument cluster, but rather in the PCM.

I'm pretty sure the vehicle mileage isn't stored in the instrument cluster, but rather in the PCM.
Mileage is stored in the cluster, unsure how to change tho

I swapped my cluster out of my 2015 PIU. I found in Forscan that the mileage is in both the PCM and the Cluster. It appears to take the higher one also as the cluster changed my PCM to match it and the cluster was higher. I can change my mileage in both my Fusion and Flex but for some reason it is not an option in my explorer with Forscan. I found a place that will change it in Denver but it's $$$.

That's a long drive just to get the odometer changed Bill. For the record, I would take a photo of both the old and new just to keep track if you can't get it reset.

Peter

That's a long drive just to get the odometer changed Bill. For the record, I would take a photo of both the old and new just to keep track if you can't get it reset.

Peter
Good call and yes I already did that. LOL, You can ship it to Denver with Pics. Just spendy and I would hate to spend the money to have the PCM override it and change it up on mileage since the PCM changed to match the higher mileage IPC. .

I once changed out the cluster on my 2009 Mercury Grand Marquis to one from a 2009 Ford CVPI, and soon found that the newer cluster brought with it a much-lower odometer reading... one that I couldn't change.

Since the newer cluster had less mileage than the original one, the State of California required me to put a sticker in the doorjamb, stating that the new cluster was reading XX,x.. miles less than the actual mileage on the vehicle.

I swapped my cluster out of my 2015 PIU. I found in Forscan that the mileage is in both the PCM and the Cluster. It appears to take the higher one also as the cluster changed my PCM to match it and the cluster was higher. I can change my mileage in both my Fusion and Flex but for some reason it is not an option in my explorer with Forscan. I found a place that will change it in Denver but it's $$$.
I posted in the Forscan forum hoping for tips on updating mileage as well since I was hoping to swap my interceptor cluster with a sport/limited retail one while relocating the shifter to the console. Seems like they figured it out on the F150 but not the explorer yet, but I saw recommendations to buy a used cluster with lower mileage, so the thought that it pulls the higher of the two values from the PCM and IPC, might be why I saw that recommendation (no explanation was given at the time).

@Terryhan05 How many miles are on yours? Maybe someone that has done the swap has a spare laying around, I'd give you mine if I had already done the swap.

I finally got my new XLT/Limited Cluster in before the weekend and attempted the swap this morning. Good News is it mostly works. I received errors about blind spot & cross traffic collision faults, updated a few other settings, but took care off those in a couple minutes with Forscan to reset some values and eliminate the warnings. As for the milage, mine has 104k gauge is displaying 85k miles, anyone who thinks this will pick up the higher of the two, did it require driving it to pick up the new correct milage? I took pics of both so if I drive with this I'll be able to track the difference if needed but I any thoughts on how to display the correct milage? I'm going to post in Forscan forum too, but just wondering if anyone knows a quicker way to update this or trigger the PIU to pull the higher of the two as others said would happen.
crosstraffic-fault.png
blindspoterror.png

Has anyone done this swap with the stock PIU 4" radio/screen? the new IPC Correctly shows the compass or radio station when I first turn on the car, but after a minute or as soon as you hit the steering wheel controls it comes up with an error? Anyone know what bit you change so it knows what radio it should be talking to? Also other than screen displaying the error, it does still control the radio, which I expected to fail. I thought I recalled seeing a forscan setting some where to tell your car which radio or bypassing this if you had replaced with another head unit, but maybe I was dreaming that up
compass.png
ipc-lost-comms.png

Also maybe a good sign for my other thread on hooking up the Terrain Management Dial in my console, the AWD Drive gauge says it's in Normal Mode, so I hope to continue that work again.
awd-normal.png

I thought I'd followup on updating mileage, since Forscan doesn't appear to be an option yet for us.. I checked with Jason at https://www.flvpmods.com/ and he confirmed that he can also update the mileage on the IPC and would require shipping it to him, but he's been super nice over email and seems very reasonably priced on services he provides.

He was unable to confirm if he could help me fix some of the other errors I was getting when using the upgraded IPC without a touchscreen/snc system. So for now I'm sticking with the old one until I decide if I want to do the full Sync upgrade or have him try to fix my issue while doing the mileage or just live with the error on the right side.

Back