Installing or Programming Daytime Running lights (DRL) | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing or Programming Daytime Running lights (DRL)

Just had mine switched over. $45.00 was the charge. I wasn't going to argue. I wanted it changed. It was extra work. 5 minutes or 15. It's a service.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Someone please share their wisdom.

After installing the Philips drl 4 led lights I began to see the lights flicker off when I slowed or stopped. Once I began moving the lights come back and stay on. Philips stated this is due to the battery dropping below the 12v necessary to power the lights. Their solution was to send me a new control box with an additional wire from the control box at no extra charge. The directions state to plug into an ACC port in the fuse box. I bought a piggy back fuse connector with a 15 amp mini fuse.

I found #71 is a port not being used on my fuse box under the hood. Using a current tester, i found the port on has power in the ACC position.

My question:
Is the 15 amp mini fuse appropriate for the fuse port?
I have 13 Explorer base.

Thanks for the input in advance.

That's really funny. My daylights are always on 2013 ford explorer limited and i was researching how turn them off lol.

That's really funny. My daylights are always on 2013 ford explorer limited and i was researching how turn them off lol.
Curious as to why you would want to disable a feature that has been proven to reduce daytime accidents?

Peter

Philips stated this is due to the battery dropping below the 12v necessary to power the lights. Their solution was to send me a new control box with an additional wire from the control box at no extra charge. The directions state to plug into an ACC port in the fuse box. I bought a piggy back fuse connector with a 15 amp mini fuse.

If the power is dropping below 12v when the vehicle is running there's other bigger issues. The vehicle should always be around 13.5+ with it running.

Curious as to why you would want to disable a feature that has been proven to reduce daytime accidents?

Peter

because to some they don't like the look of DRLs when it's just regular halogen lights or just amber marker lights. I can't stand the look of GM trucks & SUVs with their small halogen DRL in the headlights that half the time one side is burnt out. LED ones in Audi's and other newer cars are one thing, but just a halogen bulb or an amber bulb, they don't look all that great. Safety is great, but if that was everyones absolute #1 priority there's probably even safer vehicles on the market so why drive an explorer? Same reason people add tint despite it slighly reducing visibility, or add touch screens and sound systems despite it being a distraction in the vehicle. If my explorer came with DRL's it'd be one of the first things I'd be looking to disable unless they were LEDs like the Acadia or an Audi.

I wonder why your Explorer came with DRL enabled? I thought that all the U.S. versions had them disabled from the factory. All Canadian models have them enabled since it is the law here.
If you really want them off, your dealer should be able to accommodate you.

Peter

Installed my own

explorer_drl_zpsc3e561cb.jpg

for those of you that are chummy with your local dealerships...I wonder if this will work for the SHO's to have their LEDs run as DRLs?

Had my '13 XLT in for fuel line recall and oil change and asked them to enable my DRL. Was told that my car is "not equipped with DRL." Didn't feel like going round and round with the service writer so I dropped it. Will look into installing my own.

I had my lights enabled by my dealer. The DRLS are the amber parking lights on my 2012.

Installed my own

I'm interested in hearing about the brand and the install you did too... Putting them down there seems to look more "factory" then some of the other applications I've seen.

Certainly.

The drls are from ebay. here's a link for them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hella-Style-LED-Daytime-Running-Light-DRL-Daylight-Kit-Fog-Day-Lamp-Hummer-/360730465112?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53fd361358&vxp=mtr#ht_9341wt_982

I would not call this a quick installation. I had to fab up brackets to hold the drls behind the bumper valance. The brackets that came with the drls were a joke. The drl's are attached with 3 screws (2 lower and 1 upper) and are high enough up on the bumper that they feel pretty solid. I used drls that had a rake to them that matched the curve of the bumper pretty well. I used a $15 drl wiring harness (ebay also) for proper functionality of the drls and clean wiring.

Here's a close up of the drls just peeking through the valance. Yes I fretted over cutting the holes, but this is a $100 part, so its not a big expense to replace if I want to go in another direction in the future.

img_4_zps4194815b.jpg

Here's the back side of the valance showing the bracket attached to the bumper.

IMG_1_zps5be523b4.jpg

Here are couple of pics of the bracket. You could probably say its over built. I used extruded aluminum angle bar. Easy to work with and weather proof.

img_3_zps64165df7.jpg

img_2_zpsaf41794a.jpg

Added trim around the drls to finish the look
IMG_0571_zpse9cfc32d.jpg

You can tell the difference which one is cheaper, too.

DRL Visibility

The real test of any DRL is about how visible they are in direct sunlight.

Peter

Mine were $40 on ebay and are pretty darn brite in the sunlight.
They are rated at 1 watt per led. While there are cheaper ones,
there are also ones that are a lot more expensive.
Philips and Hella brands have models that can run in the
hundreds of dollars.

You can tell the difference which one is cheaper, too.

I was talking about the installation method / location. Not the actual cost of DRL.

I wonder why your Explorer came with DRL enabled? I thought that all the U.S. versions had them disabled from the factory. All Canadian models have them enabled since it is the law here.
If you really want them off, your dealer should be able to accommodate you.

Peter

As posted year or so ago, all ford vehicles are equipped to have functioning DRLs. It is just a software switch in the body control module. A two step process with the dealers laptop plugged into the OBD port. If they say they can't do it, they are lying and are too lazy. I placed a wager with my dealer, who was negative like many have experienced. With the posted directions I insisted he follow to the letter, I won the wager. An have DRLs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2014 Sport coming is 3 weeks. I'm in Canada where DRL's are law. I'm having my dealer do this software programming switch to send the DRL's to the marker/turn signal lights instead of being on the headlights. (On the markers like they would be on the Limited, which comes with factory HID's)

I'm doing this because I'm installing an after market HID kit (from cool bulbs) and want it to function properly without issues and have regular longevity.

To make up for the lack of DRL's through the headlights I've purchased the Philips 4 LED strips and "not" tying that extra control wire so that they will remain on all the time while the motor is running.

Back