Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Instant total battery discharge, won't start, rapid clicking from ignition area

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by steventadams, December 11, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. steventadams

steventadams Active Member

City, State:
    New Jersey
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2001 Sport
    I stopped after a 30 minute trip to grab the mail. I shut off the Explorer normally and came back 3 minutes later and the car was completely dead. No lights, no windows, no dash. Nothing.

I had my wife drive over and we charged it up some and the lights turned on and the dash lit up and etc but still no start. I tried again, this time waiting about 15 minutes while having her keep her car up around 1500 RPM (v8 sedan). No dice.

After trying to start it up I heard what sounded like a solenoid or relay clicking rapidly for 10 seconds or so even with the key out of the ignition. The car was totally dead again 5 minutes later.

The battery is ~1 year old. The alternator is about the same. Had no issues with dimming lights. The car started right up last time I drove it before dying. It's not weather as I live in TX.

I haven't started diagnosing anything yet. First I'm going to hit the starter with a hammer a little bit. I'm going to check the start relay and fuses. Then I guess check power to the starter and starter solenoid.

I've heard people starting the cars by bridging the leads on the starter with a screwdriver with the key in the ignition. What exactly is the process for that?

I'll start with the easy stuff but was hoping someone might know what the rapid clicking was from.

Thanks!

-Steve

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. ron72gt

ron72gt New Member

City, State:
    Morristown Tennessee
    2002 Ford Ranger
    Don't rule out a dead battery. I've had them go bad just crossing the street from one parking lot to another.

4. 1998Exp

1998Exp Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Seattle WA
    98 Limited V8 AWD
    Also, what gauge/quality are your jumper cables? With a completely discharged battery, long and relatively thin cables with so-so clamps will drop too much voltage to operate the starter directly from the assisting vehicle.

5. Vic_Ferrari2002

Vic_Ferrari2002 Active Member

City, State:
    Chambersburg PA
    '97 Explorer Sport
    Check the clamps on the battery just a little corrosion or looseness of the clamps will cause that. Could be just that simple of a fix...

6. swshawaii

swshawaii Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
    '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
  7. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    sounds like an internally shorted out battery to me. most batteries come with a 2 year free replacement warranty. return it and get a new one.

8. steventadams

steventadams Active Member

City, State:
    New Jersey
    2001 Sport
    I'm going to place blame on my tensioner pulley. I pulled and cleaned the battery cable connections and tapped on the starter some just to see. I let it charge via my wife's car for about half an hour then it started right up. I'm getting 12V across the battery when off, ~14.1V when running. The same ~14.1V from the alternator when running. On the low end of the spec but still in spec.

I noticed that my belt was jumping around some and the tensioner pulley was just there for moral support but wasn't actually keeping the belt tight. I'm going to replace that, the idler, and belt this afternoon. My thoughts are that the belt kept jumping and not letting the alternator actually charge the battery back up. Hoping anyway.

Going to do the plugs/wires while I'm at it probably (if I can convince myself that I won't break any plugs). At 220k miles I haven't given her the love she deserves so maybe it's time to fix that.

9. Ryan87LX

Ryan87LX Member

City, State:
    Regina, Saskatchewan
    1997 Ford Explorer
    I suspect a bad battery cable or bad battery. Check the battery voltage next time it won't start at the terminal (not the connector).