Instrument Cluster Tire pressure Light Not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Instrument Cluster Tire pressure Light Not working

jbwilson3791

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
I recently discovered my vehicle is equipped wit the tire pressure monitoring system (I had never known because I have never seen the light come on) by upon inspection of the wheels I have the fancy valve stems. I'm about to get new tires and figured I'd try and get this TPMS working because I hate when stuff isn't working like it should no matter how pointless it is. I took the cluster out to see if there was a burnt out bulb but to my surprise there isn't a bulb to replace, instead it was an LED I couldn't reach. I have a hard time believing that would go bad before any of the others. Does anyone have any ideas on how I should proceed? Is there a way to force this light to come on to make sure the LED isn't burnt? Could something prevent the light from coming on? I'd assume if something was wrong the light would be on permanently instead. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can any one post their experience dealing with ford dealers regarding
TSB 04b17

These are the details I have

TIRES:pRESSURE MONITORING AND REGULATING SYSTEMS Bulletin Number: 04B17
Bulletin Date: Jul 2004

Vehicle: 2004 Ford Explorer
Summary:
SOME OF THE VEHICLES WERE BUILT WITH INSTRUMENT CLUSTERS THAT WERE NOT CONFIGURED PROPERLY FOR USE WITH A REVISED TPMS MODULE. THE TIRE PRESSURE MODULE SYSTEM (TPMS) IS FULLY FUNCTIONAL, BUT THERE IS NO VISUAL INDICATION TO A DRIVER IF THE ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10008875

I don't know if this applies to yours.
Bob T

Can any one post their experience dealing with ford dealers regarding
TSB 04b17

These are the details I have

TIRES:pRESSURE MONITORING AND REGULATING SYSTEMS Bulletin Number: 04B17
Bulletin Date: Jul 2004

Vehicle: 2004 Ford Explorer
Summary:
SOME OF THE VEHICLES WERE BUILT WITH INSTRUMENT CLUSTERS THAT WERE NOT CONFIGURED PROPERLY FOR USE WITH A REVISED TPMS MODULE. THE TIRE PRESSURE MODULE SYSTEM (TPMS) IS FULLY FUNCTIONAL, BUT THERE IS NO VISUAL INDICATION TO A DRIVER IF THE ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10008875

I don't know if this applies to yours.
Bob T

Thanks for the reply! This definitely sounds like what I'm experiencing. Now hopefully someone can tell me if there is a solution or just something to live with

I can't find anymore on it. Probably have to contact the dealer?
Bob T
:usa:

I can't find anymore on it. Probably have to contact the dealer?
Bob T

Okay so I spoke with dealership here in town today. I gave them that TSB 04b17 number. They responded saying that was actually a Customer satisfaction program to fix this issue but expired in 2005. He said sometimes they honor the free tale pair but that wouldn't be determined until after the service was completed and paid for which he said cost 60$ to reconfigure the instrument cluster. He gave me some numbers to call to guess a guess on whether or not it would still be honored, both people I talked to said there was nothing they could do to help.

That is there usual answer. But on the bright side 60.00 is not too bad if you really want it to work. Then there is always that little one percent that that is not the problem.

Well at least you have some answers.
Bob T

That is there usual answer. But on the bright side 60.00 is not too bad if you really want it to work. Then there is always that little one percent that that is not the problem.

Bob T

Wow I should read what I type before posting that was brutal, but somehow you figured out what I was trying to say. Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction.

Bob T

Dealership now says there are 2 burnt out bulbs and wants 145$ to replace. When I initially checked for this problem I took cluster out and found no bulbs to replace, only soldered on LEDs. Isn't that correct? Would those ever burn out? And why would Tmps have 2 separate lights. Thanks :)

Dealership now says there are 2 burnt out bulbs and wants 145$ to replace. When I initially checked for this problem I took cluster out and found no bulbs to replace, only soldered on LEDs. Isn't that correct? Would those ever burn out? And why would Tmps have 2 separate lights. Thanks :)

Okay so they were wrong and those lights weren't burnt out like I figured. I didn't get charged for the mis diagnosis. Their next guess is the module itself. Anyone know anything about those? Can't seem to find one info on it, where it's located or if it's available for purchase. Probably time to give up :(

If you're not going to fix it have the tire shop install normal valve stems and not charge you for a TPMS rebuilt kit like they'll try to do.

If I can find any info on where that module is located I may consider fixing it but thanks for the tip! Would definitely have forgotten to do that.

I'd love to have the TPMS not working. Is there a way to disable it?

The "On/Off" choice in the message center won't toggle between the two.

Thanks for any help!

I'd love to have the TPMS not working. Is there a way to disable it?

The "On/Off" choice in the message center won't toggle between the two.

Thanks for any help!

It's it's an 03 or 04 and maybe other years the module is located in the panel where the passenger side seatbelt of the 2nd row seats mounts two. The panel is easy to remove, then the module is very accessibly. Thereorically I think you could unplug the module and the dash light would never turn on. (I'm no mechanic but I say this because I think my module is bad and my light never turns on) I'd be willing to buy yours if it's an 04 and you want to remove it :)

TPMS is a real PITA and not worth the agravation or cost. Just wait until you have pay to get your tires unmounted, replace bad senders an have the tires remounted and balanced. Really easy to drop $500.00 for a worthless "safety" feature.

TPMS is a real PITA and not worth the agravation or cost. Just wait until you have pay to get your tires unmounted, replace bad senders an have the tires remounted and balanced. Really easy to drop $500.00 for a worthless "safety" feature.

Ya, just remember to do weekly air checks along with weekly lights and fluids checks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well we never had a problem checking things back in the day. We were even able to repair most things. A lot of people don't have that kind of money to put out. And when all the automatic sensors go crazy your talking hundreds if not thousands of dollars to repair.
Bob T

Back