• Register Today It's free!

Instrument Gauges

$TheMoneyPit$

Reaction score
City, State
elkton maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 mazda navajo&97 xlt
Ok I have a few questions I hope you all can come up with some answers or point me in the right direction. I have a 1992 mazda navajo two wheel drive five speed mostly stock ive been having theses issues since I bought it.
-First off my fuel gauge and tach do not work and quite honestly not sure if my coolant temp. is accurate if so then my god my truck does some crazy things. The temp will go red sometimes and the moment i turn my defrosters on it goes to normal and when checked the motor is not overheating. My fuel gauge reads a quarter of a tank when key is off and the moment I turn it on the gauge reads empty not sure if its the gauge most likely the sending unit. And my tach does the notrious 3100 jump as soon as the key is turned it goes there and stays untill I go past it which is annoying to look at. I have taken the gauges out to look at the wiring and resistors and all appear to be fine.
-My questions are does anyone have any pictures of where the problems happen with the circuit being damaged? And is it possible to retro fit a differnt set of gauges in with just plug and play? And does anyone know how to check the resistances on the back of the gauges to find out where the problem is? Thanks John

I can answer a couple pieces..

The 1991 and 1992 gauges are interchangable.. The 1993 and 1994 are also interchangable. I'm talking entire clusters.

I have also taken parts from different years and swapped them between years.

When you say the gauge moves when you turn on the defroster, do you mean when you turn on the heater or a/c fan, or is it only when its in defrost. IF the fan is what is making it move then you have a voltage or ground issue. IF the defrost is whats doing it, then more likely the defrost lever is hitting something under the dash (bad wire, loose wire) that is making it move.

~Mark

The temp gauge moves when heater is on the whole cluster is most likely shot but took the tach and cleaned it it seemed to work while ideling once I drove it did the same thing again. thanks for the reply guys ill probably tach some pics to show my problems and of the back of the cluster.

Back