Instrument panel lights quit, now blinker blinks my stereo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Instrument panel lights quit, now blinker blinks my stereo

JCross0525

Reaction score
City, State
Alpine, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996, Explorer XLT
Hello All,

I have a weird problem that has risen, and need someone smarter than me to help diagnose. So on the way to work this morning, with headlights on, I heard a click and the instrument panel lights turned off. The headlights stayed on. The stereo HU (an aftermarket I installed over a year ago) turned back to it's bright "daytime" mode. But when I turn on my left blinker it also blinks the stereo HU. Right blinker functions normally. On the exterior, the blinkers are functioning normally.

Vanity lights, map lights, all interior dome lights still work.
When I turn the dimmer switch all the way down, both blinkers go back to normal and the stereo blinking does stop.
But nothing makes the instrument panel lights come back on.

I just want to know if there's any way to diagnose that dimmer switch before I drop the $160 for a new one.

Thanks,
Josh

It might be cause by dirty contacts inside the dimmer.
You might be able to get some electrical contact cleaner spray, and spray the heck out of the switch until it drips, get it inside well, while rotating the dial back and forth. do this a few times. Let it dry afterward or blow it out with some compressed air and stick it back in. You have a greater than 50% chance of bringing it back to life.

Second attempt IMO is getting one from a junk yard and clean it as above before installing it.

Back