1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Intelligent Access Key fob programming

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Junkmann2, December 10, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. tb330

tb330 New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2013 Explorer Sport
      Didn't want to make a new thread since this is related, but does anyone know if you can use a 2017 Explorer Key Fob on a 2013? I have access to a 2017 and since my 2013 only came with one I'm hoping the dealership would be able to program it for me, but if not I want to get one ordered just in case.

I'll call them in the morning, but figured Id ask here in the meantime. Thanks!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
      You will likely have to have the 2017 program info erased first. Does the 2017 key have the remote start option? If so, it is 902MHz. The 2013 would be 315MHz.
      Re-use a 2015 Mustang key fob for 2017 Explorer

Peter

4. tb330

tb330 New Member

2013 Explorer Sport
      Thanks Peter, I've been eyeing an Explorer Sport for awhile and finally found one I could pull the trigger on.

Yes, it has the lock/unlock/remote start/liftgate buttons. Dont have it on me, but this was the one. It most likely wont work by the sounds of it though so I'll grab a new one for a 2013.

Screenshot_20180629-110620_Chrome.jpg

5. DaveM68

DaveM68 New Member

City, State:
      Columbia, IL
      2017 F250
      Thank you Patrick, I was able to program keys 3 & 4 for my F250 using your procedure. (4 is the max you can have). All features work without issue.

Ronin559’s post #37 can be accomplished a little easier. If you take the battery out, equivalent to having a dead battery in the key, you can place the key in the key slot that you used to program the new key with and you can start the vehicle. This allows you to keep a spare key in the vehicle without it transmitting any signals.

6. mgward3

mgward3 New Member

City, State:
      Santa Rosa, CA
      2011 Explorer, Limited
      Just a quick note that I successfully programmed a new IAK on my 2011 Explorer. I needed two working IAKs in order to do it. Took like 5 minutes. The Dealer told me that they had to do it and it would cost $122.50! I also saved money on the purchase of the IAK by buying it from carandtruckremotes.com The remote that arrived appears to be a genuine Ford OEM remote. The cost was $112 incl shipping as opposed to $180 from the dealer. Amazingly enough the instructions to do this came from a Ford sponsored support site. You can put in your year and model for your vehicle and it will tell you how to do it. The page is: How to program your Intelligent Access key

Enjoy!

Marshall

Last edited by a moderator: November 8, 2018 at 10:15 PM
    7. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Welcome to the Forum Marshall.:wave: