Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Intelligent access remote

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by peelman, February 25, 2016.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. peelman

peelman Active Member

City, State:
    Southern Ontario
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2016 Ford Explorer Sport
    I couldn't find an answer to a question I have in the 2016 Explorer manual. I'll be on a long road trip soon and part way down I'd like to pull over at a rest stop for a sleep. How do I prevent a stranger from pulling on my door handle from the outside there-by unlocking at the same time while I'm inside the car sleeping? As long as the fob is with me inside the vehicle the car can be unlocked from the outside, right?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Wisconsin
    16 Edge
    Pr-16 Exp Sport
    Test that theory and see. I doubt that is the case.

4. Explor16sil202

Explor16sil202 New Member

City, State:
    Markham, Ontario
    2016 explorer xlt 202 4wd
    Can you disable the sensing function ? So nobody can open the door while you sleep inside the car

5. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    On previous models if the IA key was locked inside the vehicle it would turn itself off after 20 or 30 seconds and you would have to press either the LOCK or UNLOCK, can't recall which, to reactivate it. Not sure if the 2016 is the same. I also placed the IA key in the back of cargo area and found that it was too far away to allow me to activate the lock/unlock feature on the handle.

Peter

6. LuisMarin

LuisMarin New Member

City, State:
    Cape Cod, Ma
    2016 Explorer Sport
    I don't think you can unlock the door if your key is inside. You can lock it but not unlock it. I run into this all the time. I get out of the car to get my kids outs and the door is lock, so I then grab on the handle to unlock it and it won't unlock the door while the keys are still inside. So I have to open the driver door and manually unlock all doors. Try it

7. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    If you get out and leave the vehicle running, the only door that unlocks is the driver's door. The rest remain locked. To unlock them you either have to turn the vehicle OFF or use the UNLOCK button on the driver's door.
    You can also use the Securicode keypad IF you remember your code.;) I suppose hitting the UNLOCK button on the keyfob would also work.

Peter

8. LuisMarin

LuisMarin New Member

City, State:
    Cape Cod, Ma
    2016 Explorer Sport
    I hear you Peter, I locked my self out of my own car the 2nd week we had it. Luckily my 3yrs was able to get out of he's car seat and unlock the door. The car was running. So that's why I think he is going to be fine. Unless the door does unlock with the car off and the smart key inside the car?

9. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    The only way that I'm aware of to lock your key inside is to hold both the 7/8 an 9/0 buttons on the keypad down at the same time.

NOTE: I was able to lock the key inside without using the keypad when I placed the key in the rear of the cargo area. I'm guessing that is because it was out of range of the sensors.

Peter

10. vp6799

vp6799 Active Member

City, State:
    Massachusetts
    2014 Explorer Limited
    If the doors are locked with a key fob inside, it will disable intelligent access on that key fob. Only 1 of your other key fobs that are outside can unlock the doors by pulling the door handle. If there are no other key fobs available, then you will have to press the unlock button on your fob to unlock the doors.

11. gatzdon

gatzdon Active Member

City, State:
    IL
    2000 Exp XLS 4WD V6 OHV
    I think this is due more to the sensors not being able to accurately triangulate that the key is inside the vehicle.

We discovered this when my wife left her purse in the cargo area. Anybody could open the hatch as if it was unlocked. Found this out because the kids ran ahead of us and opened when they shouldn't have been able to.

12. vp6799

vp6799 Active Member

City, State:
    Massachusetts
    2014 Explorer Limited
    My 14 doesn't do that...... I locked my keys in the rear hatch area last week so they wouldn't get lost while I was doing some garage work. Locked them in with the door keypad. I tried to grab the hatch handle and the door handles to see if they opened and they didn't. Nothing unlocked the doors. I had to type in the key code on the door pad to unlock the doors.

The ford tech told me that the key fob gets disabled automatically a few minutes after the doors are locked if the fob is still inside the vehicle. The vehicle will not recognize that fob until the doors are unlocked again or someone pushes a button on that fob.

Wonder if there's a difference in the IA antennas or antenna placement in the earlier models???

13. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    My 2011 was the same way when I experimented with locking the key inside. Perhaps the key won't disable unless you lock it inside using the keypad.

Peter

14. vp6799

vp6799 Active Member

City, State:
    Massachusetts
    2014 Explorer Limited
    I tried it today by leaving one key fob inside and using another to lock the doors. Then I kept the spare fob far away and tried grabbing the handles to open the doors. Didn't allow me to open anything without having the spare fob on me.

Wonder if it doesn't disable the ket fob if you lock the doors manually or with the lock/unlock button on the inside of the door? Will have to try this.

Last edited: March 7, 2016
  15. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    If you try locking the fob inside the vehicle by locking the doors manually or with the lock/unlock button, the horn will sound and the doors will automatically unlock.

Peter

16. Bill #5 Explorer

Bill #5 Explorer Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Chicago Area
    2016 Explorer XLT
    I never carry keys with me. I keep a key fob locked in the center storage cubby. I use the key pad to get in, and to get out & lock. You can not just grab the handle and get the Explorer to unlock in this scenario.

17. gatzdon

gatzdon Active Member

City, State:
    IL
    2000 Exp XLS 4WD V6 OHV
    On my '12 limited, you definitely have to lock with the keypad or a second key in order to lock a key inside the vehicle.

The computer keeps track of each key (up to four) and will ignore a key it thinks is locked inside the vehicle until the vehicle is unlocked properly.