Interesting cluster conduct--oil pressure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interesting cluster conduct--oil pressure

RustyMacintosh

Reaction score
City, State
Monterey
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4x4 Exploder
So I noticed the other day the oil pressure on my 94 XLT 3/4 the way up to H. On the highway it would flicker a bit, so I figured either the electrical connection or the sender.

Changed sender.

At idle, you put your foot on the brake the oil gauge drops. SO I clearly have voltage issue to the cluster. Everything else works.

215 on the block 1K on new top end.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With 215k on the block, it might be time for a new oil sender, or wire up an aftermarket gauge for a much more accurate reading. The factory one is nothing more than a switch, and I believe if it sees more than 12psi it is operational. I forgot the exact specs, but I usually just utilize an aftermarket gauge for the oil and water temperature.

If the oil pressure relief valve is hung up, what harm will high oil pressure to the engine? I think it is electrical since when I am at a stop light, when I release the brake the oil pressure needle jumps up a bit.

How hard is it to install an actual oil pressure gauge? how do you let the computer know that there is oil pressure?

Mine was doing that and a new sender took care of it. I also cleaned out the inside of where sender screws into as it was clogged with gunk. I know you already replaced the sender, but did you clean out the gunk?

Like mentioned above, its a switch. It reads pressure and turns the gauge on or off. I have never been too concerned about what the oil pressure is, just as long as I have enough to activate the gauge. I know there is a "how to" thread here somewhere that shows how to convert the gauge to an actual gauge.

How hard is it to install an actual oil pressure gauge? how do you let the computer know that there is oil pressure?

It’s as simple as adding the correct adapter to the gauge fitting from the adapter for the OEM switch, and moving forward with the instructions included with the gauge you buy.

If I’m not mistaken the PCM operates off of the check oil level circuit, but I’m not 100% on that.

I know I never had any issues with using an actual oil pressure gauge and disconnecting the OEM switch. My current Explorer has a manual oil pressure gauge and zero issues, my other one had an electric gauge.

The PCM has no awareness of oil pressure or level, at least in the '94. The oil level does have a delay relay in the circuit to prevent false warnings, which is in the wiring harness near the interior fuse box. But, the PCM does not monitor either circuit.

The PCM has no awareness of oil pressure or level, at least in the '94. The oil level does have a delay relay in the circuit to prevent false warnings, which is in the wiring harness near the interior fuse box. But, the PCM does not monitor either circuit.

I wasn’t sure if it did at all, one wouldn’t think so back in the 90’s, but sometimes you just gotta wonder.

Back