Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Interference

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by GJarrett, March 5, 1999.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. GJarrett

GJarrett Guest

My CB has horrendous interference in my '99 EB and I contacted the dealership per your info on Service Bulletin 9117-5. Both the dealership and Ford at (800)241-FORD were adamant that the service bulletin covers warranty ONLY on Ford installed radios, not aftermarket radios. They will not do this under warranty.
    SO, just how hard is it for me to drop my fuel tank and do this job myself? Any special tools required, etc? Or is dropping the tank NOT something a garage mechanice wants to mess with on these new vehicles?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Sandy

Sandy Guest

GJarrett - Questions:
    1) Where have mounted the CB?
    2) How have you wired the CB?
    a) Connected it to the fuse box!
    b) Connected it to any existing hot wire.
    c) Ran a separate wires (red & blk) from the battery to the CB?
    3) If c) above, what route did the new wires take?
    4) What route did the antenna lead take?

Not trying to pick on you, just want a better picture of how the install went.

Tnx, Sandy, N1MAU

[This message has been edited by Sandy (edited 03-16-99).]

4. GJarrett

GJarrett Guest

Sandy,
    Thanks for the reply to my post and I am very sorry to say that I lost computer for awhile and am just now getting around to noticing that someone responded to my question. I STILL NEED HELP! The answers to your questions are:
    1) I mounted a Cobra CB/mike to the left of my steering wheel. The entire CB is in the mike; there is no separate CB box unit.
    2)I have wired my CB through a fuse box connection. I now understand that it is better to directly wire it straight to the battery to cut noise; is this correct?
    3) Since I have not wired it directly to the battery, what would you suggest as being the best route and technique to do so?
    4) The antenna info: a Wilson magetic Lil'Wil mounted on the back roof in front of the brakelight. The coax is run to the left top of the interior and stuffed under the plastic moulding that runs all the way to the front of the SUV, then I ran it down inside the molding of the door post to come out around the parking brake pedal.
    Also on another post I read about a Jacobs noise filter; do you know what it is and where I could get one?
    Thanks for your help and I wish I had replied much earlier. I do NOT want to have to drop my tank.
    Gerald

5. Sandy

Sandy Guest

GJarrett - Sorry for the delay in replying...
    Have you rewired the CB yet? I am a little fussy about how I do things when it comes to radios in my vehicles. So, I ran two number ten gauge wires to my ham radio set up and tapped off of them for my CB. The two wires are covered with braid and grounded on the radio end only. I then covered the braid with heat shrink, as I said I am fussy. I ran a rat (radio) shack in-line filter, #?, but it has not helped. I will be contacting Jacob's soon to talk to them about interferrence in my vehicle.
    Jacob's is a major producer of electronic equipment in the automotive field. They make the best igintion systems for any vehicle. I did not go with them at first because I was in a hurry and a friend told me about the rat shack filter.
    You should be able to contact Jacob Electronics thru the Web.
    Good Luck and let us know what happens.

------------------
    Sandy Balzarini
    n1mau@gis.net
    '92 Navajo Project

6. GJarrett

GJarrett Guest

I haven't rewired yet; had too many other projects but plan to do so this weekend. Glad you told me about the radio shack filter because I was going to do the exact same thing and try my neighborhood shack before shopping nationally. Guess I'll try Jacobs.