• Register Today It's free!

interior fuse box

BlueEx00

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt 4 door 4x4
Hey guys was wondering how hard it would be to change out an interior fuse box for my xlt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The interior fuse panel on the driver side of the IP would easiest accessible by removing the entire IP, bolts and sliding the IP out as far as possible, then detach the fuse panel from the IP, however the fuse panel will have all the wires attached. The individual wires can be easily removed and reinserted into a replacement fuse panel (I assume this is what you want to do).
I have done this before and here is what I have found, the wires are held into the fuse panel by a small little tab on the back side of the metal wire terminal, a small screw driver can be used to bend this tab in and then pull the individual wire out. After the wire is removed, bend the little metal tab on the wire terminal back out so it can lock back into place when re-inserted.
Sometime the wires are held into place by the fuse panel itself by a small plastic tab that must be gently pried away from the metal wire terminal to release the wire. There are lots of info in the internet on how to do this, thats how I learned.

Ok great so I don’t have so soder wire or use crimp connectors or anything like that?

Ok great so I don’t have so soder wire or use crimp connectors or anything like that?
Provided your existing wires on your vehicle are in good condition, no soldering is required, if you have to repair wires, then you will have to do what is necessary to make good connections, the factory wires have metal crimp connector terminals on the end that insert into the plastic fuse box.

So it’s pretty easy to put one in then? I’m kinda intimidated by it, I’ll replace the fuses and of that doesn’t work I’ll replace the fuse box itself.

Happy edit!! Changed every fuse, and took the negative cable off and let it sit for a bit then reconnected it now I have my rear cargo lamps and my windows back!!!

Great. By the way "most" things that would damage that plastic fuse panel, would have burnt the wires or contacts too so odds are there would be more work to do than just pulling and placing all the contacts in a new one.

The easiest route there might be getting the entire thing plus a few inches of the attached wire going back the harness from a donor junkyard vehicle, in case some soldering and splicing is needed.

Back