Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Intermittent A/C clutch engagement

Discussion in 'A/C & Heater systems - HVAC' started by Dora The 4x4'a, August 9, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Dora The 4x4'a

Dora The 4x4'a Active Member

City, State:
      Smalltown, Md
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '92 XLT
      So, for starters, I did try looking around the forum but I believe my problem may be more unique.

At first the a/c clutch was engaging every 20 sec. or so then immediately disengaging again. the voltage would bog down and shoot back up respectively. That was in the winter so I went ahead and disconnected the a/c by pulling the pigtail out o the wiring harness. I taped it off and let it sit. This summer I wanted to see if it would work so I plugged it back in (after cleaning the pigtail and harness) and now the clutch never engages (w/ a/c "on" of "off").

FYI: since i disconnected it I replaced the alternator and battery, charged the a/c system up to proper pressure & tested the leads to the pigtail. I found voltage going through the wires w/ the a/c switch engaged and not, blower motor runs at all speeds respectively but on ?off" it still blows relatively fast & all fuses are ok in the fuse box.

Questions: double-check me: how should i properly test the voltage in those pigtail wires (which one should have voltage and when), could this be a a/c relay despite getting power to those leads?

thanks for reading and thanks ahead of time for the help!
      -chris

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.