• Register Today It's free!

intermittent AC

joshtypesn

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Myers, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Eddie Bauer 4x4
I just replaced my entire AC system, all parts except the liquid line from the evaporator to the condensor and the sensors on the low and high side. The AC will blow ice cold occasionaly but most of the time it is just margionally cold, bearable, but should be a lot colder. The 134a levels are fine. When I am driving, the stopping and going seems to have no effect on the temperature out of the vents, even on highway it seems to come and go from ice cold, to margional, to nothing at times. I was curious as to what this may be. There are times that the AC will stop all together and come out warm. It seems that when I rev the engine I can get it back in a few seconds. Could this be my fan (I had a mechanic tell me that the clutch was starting to go on the fan), or could this be the high side compressor shutoff sensor? I hope it is not, but could this be a bad compressor or clutch on the compressor? Please any help is appreciated, it is HOT in Florida and I have put a lot of money in the AC already. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you said if you rev it a little it gets better?
if your idle is too low the a/c will kick on (lower RPM's below acceptable range) then kick back off.. or just not kick on at all.

Like I said, this happens occasionally even at highway speeds, however, when I punch the gas for a short while I can get it to go again.

sorry i missed that highway part.
this happened to my 88 reliant.. the people who charged it when i replaced a bunch of stuff on it didnt vacuum enough air out of the system and I had to take it back because of the EXACT problems you are having.
totally different vehicles but maybe same fix.
on the same note.. there could be a million and one different reasons for the problem. I would have a professional look at it or hope someone who knows more about a/c jumps in here to save you ;)

Sounds viable to me, the guy who did the service was not an AC guy at all, I will see if he even put vaccum on the lines, this would make sense. Any other imput from you guys would be helpfull, would this be a symptom of air in the system?

Talking to a friend of mine who things that this may be the system being over charged? Any more input?

that is also a very real possibility
which oddly enough happened on my 97 honda.. I have bad luck with a/c

Update>>>please help

I evacuated and recharged my system again, like I have said, everything in the system is BRAND NEW...my charges are 38 on low side and 215 on high side and compressor cycles normally. My AC however is still marginal, it has spurts of ice cold and then hovers in marginal. Any ideas of what may be going on? This happens both moving and sitting still. ANY HELP APPRECIATED. Thanks

Back