Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Intermittently popping 60A IGN fuses...Ideas

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by 86bandit, August 8, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 86bandit

86bandit New Member

City, State:
      Greer SC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1993 Explorer
      Hi guys,
      I'm new to the forums but having an issue with my 93 Explorer XLT. Recently while driving the truck began to loose all power for a fraction of a second, start running again after backfiring through the muffler. Eventually it blew the 60A IGN fuse in thepower distribution panel under the hood. Of course when I got it home and checked the circuit with a volt meter it did not show a dead ground as I expected.

It would be great if someone could send me or point me toward an electrical diagram of this circuit so I can begin troubleshooting. Of course if anyone has had this experience before I would like to hear from them as well.

Thanks,
      David

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Vail, Arizona
      1992 XLT 4x4
      We had a similar issue with our X. It started to blow the fuse more often, but like you, it still wasn't bad when we got it home.

The fuse we were blowing was the 60 amp fuse that went to the ignition switch.

I dropped the steering column and started to look around and push/pull/yank on all the wires and viola a wire came out. Someone had tapped into an ignition switch wire to install the stereo (before me) and the wire had pulled from the wire nut so it would short out on metal under the dash.

~Mark

4. 86bandit

86bandit New Member

City, State:
      Greer SC
      1993 Explorer
      I'll have a look this evening. Thanks for the reply.