Is it ok to take a Limited through a car wash? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it ok to take a Limited through a car wash?

UKHOOPZ

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
I am concerned about the black antenna that sticks up about 8 inches. Would it get knocked off with the brushes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am concerned about the black antenna that sticks up about 8 inches. Would it get knocked off with the brushes?

If it does...it's very very poorly made...you should be fine as they know people go through car washes

Consider what type of car wash before you arrive there.
I went thru normal wash for 1st ever wash and sat in there screaming "noooooooooo!"

Antennae is fine, its hella sturdy, but thats another story for another day.

-full car wash with rotating nylon brushes & rubber noodles will cause swirl marks on the appliques on your A, B, C pillars. (my appliques)
-depending on what direction the machines move in, hood, sunroof, or window deflectors can get swirl marks or be knocked loose. (my hood deflector-nylon roller moved up & over the car & then back down past the front and whack!)

-the touchless car wash wont clean all the gunk off after this winter, so its a pain to get the car clean this 1st post winter wash if using touchless.
(manual bay, clean the soap brush well, soap up needed spots, then rinse, then touchless. After it will be fine in the touchless)

...the snow piles in some places will be around for a month, together with the salt and whatever other gunk is in it, which is all melting in to the streets now and still all over the place and all over cars.

I take my Limited through a cloth car wash. The antenna unscrews from its base, so I just remove it beforehand.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the info!

I don't trust car washes because one of them bent my plate and scratched my rims.

No problems here! I use the "brushless" car washes in the winter and it has never harmed it yet!

The automatic car wash I use has both rotating brushes and heavy cloth strips that clean up and over the top of the vehicle. I have never taken the antenna off and I have never had any issues with damage from the car wash.

I would worry about the rain sensing wipers turning on at the wrong time...

I always take my 2015 down the street. Hand washed and clean inside and out for $20.
I rather pay that than run the risk of scratching my car.

On those non-touchless automatic washes: it's washing your car with brushes and cloth strips that have washed the dirt and grime off hundreds of vehicles before you. The dirt from their vehicles isn't getting washed 100% out of those brushes and strips.

You wouldn't hand wash your car with a dirty wash mit, would you?

I always take my 2015 down the street. Hand washed and clean inside and out for $20.
I rather pay that than run the risk of scratching my car.
I washed mine in the driveway a couple of days ago. Used a brush on the end of the hose and took me about 20 minutes. Taking it in at the end of the month to get the all-seasons put back on and perhaps and oil change. It will get another free wash by the dealer.

Peter

I take mine to Delta Sonic once a week. Never had any issues what so ever.

I washed mine in the driveway a couple of days ago. Used a brush on the end of the hose and took me about 20 minutes. Taking it in at the end of the month to get the all-seasons put back on and perhaps and oil change. It will get another free wash by the dealer.

Peter

I think I'll have my winter tires removed the week of March 23.

I had a small trim piece, passenger side, front bottom side of rear wheel well, cracked by a car wash.

I know it was the car wash because it still had a piece of foam stuck in it. Don't know which one because I don't know how long it was like that. I was going almost weekly to wash off the salt.

I'm guessing that it wasn't the car wash per se, but rather the combination of extremely cold temps and warm car wash water. Plastic parts get very brittle in the extreme cold temps.

From now on, I don't think I will go through a car wash unless the temps are well above 20F, salt or no salt.

I would worry about the rain sensing wipers turning on at the wrong time...

That is why you would ensure that you've turned them off prior to entering just as you would also ensure all of your windows are closed...common sense.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You wouldn't hand wash your car with a dirty wash mit, would you?

Well I dont buy a new mitt every time I wash my car - my mitt has been used atleast 50 times to clean dirt off all of my cars :)

Back