Is it ok to use Mercon in place of Mercon V? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it ok to use Mercon in place of Mercon V?

FPGT24

Eat, sleep, breathe Explorers
Reaction score
City, State
Taneytown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey all, I'm new to 3rd gens so I got a question. Is it safe to use Dex/Merc in place of Mercon V in the 5R55W transmission? I know everyone is going to say use Mercon V no matter what, but I am not a fan of it at all and highly prefer Dex/Merc. I have successfully used Dex/Merc in many 5R55E transmissions that were on their way out but straightened them out by using Dex/Merc, and then adding a bottle of Lubegard.

I know little to nothing about the 5R55W, but have read that they are extremely sensitive transmissions in comparison to the 5R55E so I wanted to ask on here if anyone has used Dex/Merc in one and had good results before i go ahead and take the plunge. My explorer in question has 200.000 miles and is starting to show some pretty decent wear on the transmission.

Please don't do this. With that many miles the servo piston bores in the case are surely worn out and no bandaid will fix it. If you get the trans rebuilt and use dex/merc from the beginning you might be okay. I am not a fan of merc v either, but as a ford trans technician, I have seen what happens when people do this too many times. Also if/when you rebuild it, you might consider mercon SP like the later explorer 5r55w/s use.

Back