• Register Today It's free!

Is it safe to drive for a bit???

RKelly2233

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT 4-Door Sport
Have an 03 X that got a flat so im driving my 05 Aviator for a day or 2. The aviator needs a coil pack (has a cylinder 4 misfire). Is it okay to drive it for a bit? The light came on, I diagnosed it with a scanner and then left it. Drove it for a couple days and the light went off and drive fine for a while. Then I parked it again when it came on. Now I have to drive it again- question is, am I doing damage by driving it until it gets fixed on monday???

Side note: I bought a set of 8 coils to replace them all at one time and they look real easy to do- well they are. They're right on top of the engine thankfully. Should I just do them myself and risk not doing them correctly or have a mechanic do it... Already have the parts and took off the engine cover. Im just afraid of not tightening it correctly or breaking it or something..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its pretty easy to change the coils imo, make sure they fitted on the spark plugs , only thing that can be tricky is the screws that holds the coils in place DO NOT tighten them too much since they will break easily ..
i would suggest that you change the spark plugs also while your at it (if they are not recently changed )

Does the Explorer have a spare tire?

Does the Explorer have a spare tire?

different size tire- its the factory 17' which will be put on together. gona get it towed and have dealer change all the tires to my summer rims.

its pretty easy to change the coils imo, make sure they fitted on the spark plugs , only thing that can be tricky is the screws that holds the coils in place DO NOT tighten them too much since they will break easily ..
i would suggest that you change the spark plugs also while your at it (if they are not recently changed )

I was told by a couple people that they dont actually have spark plugs... which didnt make sence to me but im not mechanically inclined anyway. Coils are easy- but with the misfire, still safe to drive without damaging engine?

Meh- either way, I had my neighbor do the coils while i was at work. while he was in there he saw that the spark plugs looked real bad so he bought a new set and put them in at the same time. Charged me $75 for everything (spark plugs, putting them in and changing the coils). Coil pack I got online for $160 w/ free shipping too! The little things excite me. Now that it almost runs great, I just gotta get it to drive great...

Back