Is the 08 Explorer 4x4 good at off roading? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is the 08 Explorer 4x4 good at off roading?

coolerdude44@yah

Reaction score
City, State
Old Bridge, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 XLT
Planning to go off road at Joshua Tree National Park in August (California, near Palm Springs). Renting from Alamo, the only vehicles they offer are Explorers and Jeep Liberties that are geared toward off-roading. If you have not seen Joshua Tree Off Road trails, look it up on youtube. Based on your experience, would a stock 08 Explorer handle that? Or should I get the horrible, cramped, underpowered Liberty?

Please answer in detail, I appreciate it so much!

Normally I wouldn't recomend the 08 explorer for off roading. However, as a rental I would prefer it over the 08 Liberty. The older Libertys were at least pretty solid for light off roasing, but the new body isn't.

I've drove both a liberty and 4th gen and let's just say I own a 06 explorer. The explorer in all areas in my opinion killed the jeep hands down. I've had mine in snow sand and mud and it performed great. I work for the army in ft knox so it sees rough terrain

I have an '06 Eddie Bauer and it's no 4 wheeler.... But I sure take it over alot of curbs and random crap throughout the city.

Back